Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2011, 00:12   #1

Frozen Yanmar yse8

Help please. I have my old Yanmar yse8 which has never given any trouble. Recently my exhaust mixer blew out and water entered the cylinder. Now it is frozen and can't turn over. I can't afford a new engine but can anyone say
where I can locate parts? Say a new cylinder liner ,piston and rings ,maybe even a crankshaft and bearings. At this stage I cant even remove the injector as I haven't had to remove it at least for the last 15 years and it seems to have stuck solid in place.
Peter:
nicely done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 03:51   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: nicelydone

Quote:
At this stage I cant even remove the injector as I haven't had to remove it at least for the last 15 years and it seems to have stuck solid in place.
Never removed the injector in 15 years?
You did good then as it should be removed and serviced every 500 hours.

Just Google for parts, here is a sample
Yanmar YSE8 Parts

Good luck
Old 20-08-2011, 05:05   #3

Re: nicelydone

G'day Peter,
Which side or end of world are you?
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 16:53   #4

Wink Re: Frozen Yanmar yse8

Thank you guys. Replies much appreciated! I have only mostly used the engine to get out of the dense marina site and out to the open sea. I know this is not good for these engines but it has been so reliable I have been lulled into thinking
they are indestructable.I did the valve grind about 15 years ago.That's all.
I must admit the current problem is my own stupid fault. I put in a new exhaust about 7 years ago but I have neglected it .Now the mixer has blown out and in it's last gasps before I could switch off has let water into the cylinder.I know ,how old have you got to be before you learn?
Anyway ,the upshot is I don't know whether to repower or recond. but I don't think a new crankshaft is available if required and of course no under-sized bearings. Thanks guys for the links and I have checked but they seem to only have gaskets, anodes,water pump bits etc. You can get quite a few of the parts over here but most of our suppliers believe that they are providing an economic service by relieving boaters of as much cash as possible. I have had good dealings with companies in the States before and I thought there may be say a good spot for used or recond. parts
Thanks again . I am in Sydney Australia.Lat 33.55 S Long 151.10 E
regards
Peter
nicely done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 17:51   #5

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Frozen Yanmar yse8

I'm not a diesel expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I can't really see how water could enter the cylinder from the exhaust port whilst the engine was running? Even if it did, normally only the conrod should bend so the crankshaft may have survived (provided it wasn't immersed in sea water for any length of time). Maybe it has just filled afterwards and hydro-locked or corroded the rings to the bore? Use bolt-off or similar to loosen the injector then spin the engine to see if it spits water out. If the bore is corroded use the bolt-off on that as well then try to spin it using a breaker bar hanging off the crankshaft nut.

Failing that, some used motors come up on Ebay from time to time. I also know of someone who has a used 1GM10 available for sale (in QLD) in good running order (they tried to sell it to me so I've seen it running) so you can pm me for their details if this is of interest.

p.s. if you do get the engine turning over or running again, get a compression test done. This will reveal the extent of any damage it has suffered (load noises and clunks aside, of course)
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar