Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 09:21   #16

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Fuel Bladder for an Interim Diesel Tank

In 1989, I was part of a crew that took a 40'. special purpose multihull, across the Pacific, powered exclusively by twin diesel outboards. For much of the trip we used fuel bladders. We walked on them, lived in the same space as them, then rolled them up when they were empty, to continue on the fixed tanks. Once in Hawaii, they could be unrolled, refilled, and continue on to the Phillipines, then onwards further.

They are strong, reliable, easy to plumb and disconnect. I will have a couple of 50 gallon bladders tucked away in my bilge when I go cruising, in case I need to fill them for some extended stays in isolated areas. You can sell it for a tidy sum if you are in a remote place, since commercial fishermen really appreciate this hardware. If you plan on carrying gasoline, be sure it's rated for it, and that you store the bladder in a secure location with excellent ventilation.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:20   #17

Boat: Sou'wester 50 yawl

I just bought a schooner in the Med. It has 2 bladder type fuel tanks (capacity 75L each) - not as an interim tanks but as its permanent tanks. I have no idea of their age though the rubber looks ok. I have no experience with this type of tank. Do any of you?
kellyp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:29   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

In aircraft, yes, there they last at least 20 years. On aircraft you will usually begin to see little black granules in your fuel filter well before they begin to leak
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 13:10   #19

Boat: Sou'wester 50 yawl

Thanks, a64pilot

That's reassuring. Your tip about the small black granules in the RACOR filter is VERY helpful. So far the filter looks clean but I'll be sure to keep an eye on it.

Thanks again
PJ Kelly
kellyp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:44   #20

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
In aircraft, yes, there they last at least 20 years. On aircraft you will usually begin to see little black granules in your fuel filter well before they begin to leak

That is my contention that they are used readily in aircraft with a long-term duty cycle. I never used one for fuel, but considering it as a secondary tank for a very long trip, but I have used one for many years as a holding tank, and worked very well. I have also heard of them being used with success to replace old tanks by cutting the tops off, patching any rough spots, then putting the bladder in instead of cutting up the boat to replace the corroded tank.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 13:22   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_DeepPlaya View Post
My tank is leaking and fixing it where I am is not panning out to be a viable option. Anyone have experience with using flexible fuel bladders as a tank?

I'd love a recommendation on brands and or any gotchas. I am thinking I'd use it for six months or even less.

Thanks!
-p
I recently read about a tank liner like a bladder that you stuffed in a confined space (your old tank?) and you cured it so it became a rigid new tank! I think it was called INNOTANK.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, fuel tank