Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2017, 16:29   #16

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Fuel Booster Pump

The Facet pump that looks like an orange juice can has a filter in the bottom. If you want another little filter and gasket to deal with they last forever but they corrode. I think a better pump is the solid looking black plastic pump at the auto parts store about the size of a medium patato.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 20:32   #17

Fuel Booster Pump

Hang on guys. If it was working until the gunk got there it is not a pressure problem. It is a gunk problem. Isn't it better to deal with the gunk by filtering it than by pressing it through the engine ?? Solve the actual problem...

What would Nigel do?

Trying to learn and open to other approaches here. I've seen other Cruisers add that pump and I can see when it would apply but it might not be the solve for all problems.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 22:24   #18

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Hang on guys. If it was working until the gunk got there it is not a pressure problem. It is a gunk problem. Isn't it better to deal with the gunk by filtering it than by pressing it through the engine ?? Solve the actual problem...

What would Nigel do?

Trying to learn and open to other approaches here. I've seen other Cruisers add that pump and I can see when it would apply but it might not be the solve for all problems.
Add twin racors & a vacuum gauge. And that's Nigel Calder for those new to boat fixing.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 01:17   #19

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I use pumps like these on my engines. On Ebay for about $20 inc. shipping. Normally I only run them after changing the secondary filter. The Detroit mains don't need bleeding, but with them I can fill the secondary easily. They're rated at 35 gallons an hour and could run the engine if the engine mounted pump failed. The regular pump has no problem sucking fuel thru.
I also have them on two generators and they greatly simplify bleeding an Onan and Perkins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel pump.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	156576  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 01:25   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Listen I’m not an idiot!!! But I’m not interested in some useless agurement when all I asked was for electric pump recommendations. If you want to agure about whether a part of the high pressure pump is the same start a thread.
Lashing out at those folks trying to help.......

An interesting approach to solving a problem, but most likely, not very effective in the long term.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 07:24   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

Thanks to those that answered the question. I’ll pass on your suggestions to my dock mate.

Tags
fuel