Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2012, 23:58   #16

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Fuel Funnel Screens Removing Water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Diesel engines need clean fuel.
I use a Mr funnel at every fill up. When using a pump nozzle I have my doubt how much water it removes, but the first line of filtration does help.
I also always decant some fuel into a glass jar. Look for water and for the clarity of the fuel. If it is no good I stop and buy fuel from somewhere else.
Try not to hold up other users. I choose a quiet time and get my wife to check the glass jar for clarity, then as it settles for water, while I am filling up. Our fuel capacity is 1000 L so not much in percentage terms has gone in if the fuel is bad.

A final tip is be careful where and when you buy. Choose a high volume fuel retailer, not at the beginning of the season, and not when just had a fuel delivery, which stirs up the muck at the bottom of fuel stations tanks.
With 1000L capacity you can certainly have the option to find a high volume supplier. Many cruisers have inadequate tankage and need to chase up every opportunity to fuel.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 05:37   #17

Boat: Bombay PH 31

My Racor brand Baja funnel has stopped a LOT of water and crap from getting into tank in the first place! would not use jug fuel without it!
Old 25-05-2012, 12:04   #18

Boat: Privilege 37

I use my filter whenever I put fuel in the tank. At the dock or from the jugs.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 16:53   #19

We have been using the West Marine funnel for about 10 years now. As mentioned on a previous post it is very slow. I modified it by filling the reservoir in the bottom with epoxy. The first one I tested in the kitchen sink by filling with water. Not a drop came through! However after several years of use I tried showing someone this amazing trick and to my surprise the water drained right through. I relluctantly purchased another under the condition if it passed water through I would bring it back. I now test several times a year and find out these will last about 2-3 seasons.

We were burned once about 15 years ago and really got a bad batch of gunk in our tank. We played heck for a whole season trying to clean this up and vowed then I will filter every drop between filler nozzle and the filler cap. In the last 10 years we have had 3 issues that was caught during filling. Many fuel docks can reduce the pressure if asked. Remember their main object is to fill that 600 gal tank in 10 minuites for that large motor yacht.
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 17:31   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I used to have a Baja Filter but it was too much trouble to clean and store. So for the last 6 years or so have used the West Marine Fuel Filter Funnel, large version. Whenever we were at places where the fuel was suspect we filled through the funnel. At these places the fuel pump was rather slow anyway, so the filter did not slow down the process. One thing folks rarely realize about the filter filter is that the center "filtration column" unplugs from the filter body so you can also use the funnel as a normal funnel and/or clean it.

From West Marine description: "Fuel/Water Separator These filters were tested by Powerboat Reports (March 2003) and rated better than other more expensive funnels. Teflon-coated, stainless-steel filter separates water and dirt from gasoline, diesel and kerosene fuels. Made from industrial standard electroconductive polypropylene that can be grounded for extra safety. Fuel flows quickly through the filter into the tank and water stays in the funnel." $35 for the big one.
Attached Images

osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, water