Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2017, 10:36   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27
fuel injection pump

Hi, i was dealing with a low power output problem on my beta bz482 engine. Its 2 cylinder and replaced both injectors but problem persisted. The boat was on dry for about 4 years and according to the PO it was properly winterized. I decided to attack the fuel injection pump, removed and cleaned and put it back on and the engine runs and feels normal with lots of power and response.
After installing the pump, i 've noticed that the pump outlet serving fuel to the number 2 cylinder(the one closer to the intake manifold) putting out very precisely fuel in a great harmony, while number 1 nozzle(the nozzle closer to the belt) sort of squirts out some fuel. Again, if i crack open the number 2 fuel line at the injector, the engine stops running, while doing the same thing at injector 1 only causes the engines rpm to drop significantly, almost like its going stop running but still manages to chug along.
Under normal conditions, should we expect the same fuel output from both nozzles at the injection pump? Even though the engine seems to be running fine, is it still possible that there is an uneven combustion between the 2 cylinders inside the engine?
My last question is that is it normal for this engines to run hot? The engine dissipates lots of heat and overall its very hot to touch. Raw water system works good, discharges water good and parts related to raw water intake such as hoses, impeller housing etc feels cold. The engine block in general, most notably the thermostat housing, oil sump feels extra hot to touch. Should i not worry unless engine overheat warning buzzer comes on? The warning buzzer was coming on before after about 15 minutes or so while running on single cylinder so i am sure its working. I am adding some links for the videos i recorded that shows the pump in action. Thanks for your help in advance.

littledevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 05:19   #2

Re: fuel injection pump

Bump1
Old 27-07-2017, 08:45   #3

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Both injection pumps should deliver approximately the same volume of fuel. When you pulled the pump to clean it did you remove the delivery valves? It's possible that a part was left out or reinstalled incorrectly. Hard to tell what's the problem with out more info on what you did with the pump while cleaning it.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 09:07   #4

So the engine is telling you it's running on the No 2 cylinder just fine, the issue is with the number one injector delivery pressure/volume as it hardly makes a lot of difference, as Bill states is there some thing missing or incorrectly installed when you cleaned the injector pump?

Injector Pumps are actually quite an art to work on and when serviced are done so in near hospital cleanliness conditions by well qualified technicians,

For the heating issues i would buy a laser temp gun (cheap these days) and go over the engine when running checking whats hot or not and if following the natural water flow will tell you whats going on, until the engines running on both cylinders how ever the temps will be incorrect.

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 09:09   #5

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

The number one injector p&b or delivery valve is likely sticking or otherwise performing incorrectly. You could either disassemble and clean the pump yourself, being very careful to put it all back together correctly and cleanly, or send it out to have it cleaned and checked. It's not really very difficult, if you can get ahold of an exploded view of the pump, it will help, as will taking pictures as you disassemble it, and disassembling things one side at a time.

The slight hesitation on throttling up is probably the result of the inadequate performance of the #1 one injection pump mechanism.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 21:24   #6

Thanks folks.
i have removed the pump again and disassembled the side that wasn't pumping out fuel and immediately realized that the nozzle was clogged or somehow obstructed. Working with a tiny wire, i was able to clear it out. I put everything back together and it works awesome. This beta engines are incredible. I am very surprised to see how quite and powerful it is now. I will keep an eye on the heat issue. Since we are back to normal running both cylinders, i hope the issue will not repeat.

Tags
fuel