Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2021, 13:53   #1

Fuel tank bypassed on potential purchase

I’m looking to purchase a 28’ 1984 C&C. The fuel tank has been bypassed as it was causing problems contaminating the fuel. A jerry can setup has been installed and is said to be working great. As I understand, this is not up to code. Is there any extra concerns I should have about this? Any help or resources to look into would be appreciated.
SenorNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 14:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Fuel tank bypassed on potential purchase

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Nick.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 12:16   #3

Boat: Custom 38' Crabber

It may not be up to 'code' (take your pick of a few) but as long as it is a diesel engine, it is not an illegal setup. Just Jerry rigged. Sounds like you know what you are up against. Either fix the built in fuel tank issue or use as is.
roryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 12:32   #4

Plastic real fuel tanks are cheap from West Marine or etc. They come in premade sizes. That would be better than a Jerry Can, and it should be strapped down.
I wonder if the boat tank is leaking or just contaminated? If just contaminated you can have it cleaned and go back to using it. Beware though that many old tanks spring a leak especially if under the floor boards.
Another option if it's bad is cut the top off in place, clean and install a plastic tank or two inside it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:23   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Nick, do confirm what sort of engine you are talking about. Given the age and size, it sounds supiciously like a gasoline engine. If so, the advice changes radically.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:55   #6

I once bought an early ‘70s Tartan 30 that had a plastic outboard fuel tank stashed in the lazeret but not hooked up to anything. I should have known....

It wasn’t long before I started having fuel starvation issues with the main gas tank, so finally I pulled the steel tank out of the boat and drained the remaining gas into a 5 gallon bucket. Besides the gas that came out, there was a lot of white stuff that looked like peeling latex wall paint. After thoroughly flushing the tank with a garden hose I cut a 12” hole in the top of the tank with a saber saw and found that the inside of the tank had been coated with some type of material, probably rust preventative. Unfortunately the gasoline had softened and removed a good bit of the coating, and that coating fell to the bottom of the tank and randomly plugged the pickup pipe. I used a stiff putty knife and removed the rest of the goop, cleaned out the pickup tube, and welded the top back in place.

Problem solved!
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:56   #7

Boat: 38" Sailboat

The problem with a jury rigged system will likely cause you potential problems now, for example safety issues, especially if it's not diesel, as well as potentially insurance issues, as it could come up on a survey witch you might need for instance if your going to have the boat at a Marina.

Long term it will also impact your ability to sell the boat, as just like you people will ask the same question, and for many the answer will be to walk away.

For me I would probably determine what it would cost to fix the problem, and put that into the price your willing to pay.
SailingPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:47   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Atomic 4 .... NO ! NO ! NO ! Stupid ! Dangerous and not a chance in hell you are getting insurance after survey and you are not getting a slip without insurance..

If it's a diesel ... it might be workable.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:03   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorNick View Post
I’m looking to purchase a 28’ 1984 C&C.
Nick, this is clearly a well maintained yacht that the owner as lavished care and attention on for many years, or perhaps not. Begs the question what else didn't he look after?

Approach with caution.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:53   #10

"...causing problems contaminating the fuel."

Is that what the seller told you? Or the broker? My guess would be that he has bypassed the fuel tank because it is not POSSIBLE to use it. Either it leaks, or it is so gunked-up that it cannot be used. Whatever it is, I would be willing to be that you are going to have to replace it. Which can be a huge amount of work, and quite expensive, depending on where and how it is located.

I would consider the jerry can jury-rig to be a HUGE red flag!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:08   #11

Boat: Ontario 32

What I find most interesting about this post is that C&C NEVER marketed any model of their boats as a "C&C 28". There were 27's and there were 29's. However, later C&C 27's, commonly referred to as the Mk III and Mk IV models, were actually 27 ft 10-1/2 inches long, so essentially a 28-footer. I have happily owned one of those for the past 17 years. The version commonly referred to as the Mk V is only 26 feet 6 inches long, and was originally marketed by C&C as the "Wave 26". It did not take in the market under that label, so it was rebranded as the "New C&C 27", to piggyback on the reputation of the older models. So, is this a boat from another builder that was designed by C&C, or is the owner marketing a C&C 27 as a 28 because that sounds more impressive?

Now, if that is the case then the original fuel tank was on a shelf at the forward end of the starboard cockpit locker, extending under the galley counter in the cabin. If that tank is gone but the shelf is still there, then you should be able to buy a suitable tank from Moeller and install it. This would be a good idea, as the designer originally located this tank in that location to counter-balance the holding tank in the back of the head. Many of the original fuel tanks were aluminum, made by Mirax Corp., and I have heard that some developed issues with corrosion on the underside of the tank. If the original tank was removed, that may be why.

Let me know if you need pictures of an original installation.

Tags
fuel, fuel tank, purchase