Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2024, 10:39   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495
Re: Fuel Transfer Pump + Jerry Can

3/4” jiggle siphon is superb - routinely refueled in remote locations, simple jiggle siphon made emptying the jerries painless (not so much getting them from gas station to boat)
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 14:18   #32

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I just use an old fashioned garage funnel and the glug glug glug pour it in the deck fill method. Never spilled a drop. I have one of these on the boat and one at the house for filling the not so portable generator. Here's my funnel. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BXOFI4

And BTW I also can take my jugs below, and pour directly into a fitting in the top of my fuel tank. Out of sight, out of mind.
Old 11-03-2024, 14:52   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
I'm guessing you are over estimating your fuel usage, 32 gallons is 40-60 hrs. motoring, 200 to 300 miles or more probably. That's got to take you past a fuel dock over the course of a year, doesn't seem worth it for once or MAYBE twice a year.

Yeah, I agree with this. That said, I use virtually no fuel and therefore typically fill from a 5 gal Jerry can myself. The spout on these makes it incredibly easy. Point the nozzle down into the fill with the tank laying on deck and push the button.
https://nospill.com/collections/diesel/products/5-gallon-diesel-can

Pouring it in from the no-spill spout is even less messy than using the siphon, though I do love the shake start siphon. To an onlooker, either option looks effectively identical. If you feel you can’t do one at your marina, just pay a few extra bucks and fill up next time you’re near a fuel dock once or twice a season.
fregata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 15:34   #34

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuru View Post
I regularly fill from jerry cans and use a shaker siphon. About $10, lasts pretty much for ever and doesn't spill a drop.
Yes I do this as well, I could buy fuel cheaper, but I don’t use that much fuel so most of the time I find it easier to use road fuel and pay the extra tax.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2024, 08:26   #35

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

An additional suggestion:

When filling tanks from jugs at sea, consider screwing a pipe nipple into the fill port. This raises the entry well above the deck and helps avoid getting water into the tank. Also makes mating to the jug's spout easier when not using a syphon.

A 1-1/2 inch NPT nipple will fit most fills, and plastic or nylon is fine.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2024, 11:08   #36

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

I have used this type of pump for years, not a drop on deck ;
https://www.amazon.com/Provoonsint-T...s%2C159&sr=8-7

cans of fresh diesel from the supermarket, anti-bacteria additive, and everything is fine!
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2024, 11:55   #37

Boat: Riva 48

I am on a power boat and my fuel transfer needs are much larger. I use a simple, 24V pump for $50 that transfers at 10 gpm. Right now I am using it mainly to move fuel from my left tank to my right tank for testing purposes. One day, I hope to be able to transfer fuel from flexi tanks on deck to the main tanks. I have also used the pump to suck oil out of the 6CTA diesels (it takes so much effort to remove the oil drain plug blocked by the hull that it is easier just to drain the oil from the dipstick). The bottom line is that the pump is cheap, reliable and has many uses on the boat.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2024, 12:14   #38
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the plastic jerry cans have shutoff spouts that can easily work while the boat is underway. quick and painless.

Tags
fuel, pump