Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 17:02   #1

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Gas in diesel -- and vice versa

My neighbor needs to remove 30 gallons of gasoline from his power boat, and then put it in another boat/car/something. I have eight 5 gallon diesel jugs. Each jug has, as is normal, probably 1/2 tablespoon of diesel in the bottom. I'm thinking that 1/2 tablespoon of diesel in 5 gallons of gas is no problem. Then, he'll give them back to me, and they will naturally have 1/2 tablespoon of gas in the bottom. When I use these jugs to put diesel in my boat, again, I don't think that's any big deal. However, back in my Navy days as Engineering Officer of the Watch, I know that fuel oil dilution in crankcase oil is not only bad for the engine, but can lead to explosions. So, I know that small percentages of contamination is perhaps worse than it seems.

Anyone see any issue with 1/2 tablespoon per 5 gallons a problem for gas in diesel or diesel in gas?
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:06   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Gas in diesel -- and vice versa

I can't imagine that tiny bit will matter in either direction. Even if it were a half ounce per can you're still under 0.1 percent. And that little gas will evaporate pretty quickly if the cans are left open for a few minutes before refilling with diesel.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:13   #3

Boat: 30' Ericson / 42' Golden Star / Yard full of trailer boats

I cross use cans frequently figuring the minor amount left is further diluted when going into the equipment tank. This is for larger equipment not extremely small engines.

Not sure I want to offer my sloppy habits as an acceptable standard for others.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:44   #4

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Leaving lid off in the sun will get rid of the gasoline pretty quickly.
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel