Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 11:20   #16

Re: Gas in Diesel Tank

6 gallons of gas wont affect your engine.Truckers mix gas with diesel to haul heavy loads up mountains.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:26   #17

When my diesel 4x4 goes for its annual test, which includes the emissions, my mechanic tells me to run the tank down to 1/4-full (15 litres =3.3 ImpGals), put in about a gallon of petrol and run it hard in 4th gear on the way to the test centre. Passed every time for the last seven years!
SpiritofGlenans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:39   #18

I mixed gas with clean used cooking oil to the same viscosity of diesel and ran it for 7 years in my chevy 6.2 liter diesel truck.Then ran straight used cooking oil for another 5 years.Now i run biodiesel that i make in my truck and boat generator.I had a guy give me a 55 gallon drum of diesel that had 15 gallons of gas mixed with it.I pumped it on top of 200 gallons in my striker37's fuel tank and ran it for 5 years with no problems.Never had a algae problem either.My strikers 1968 DAF DS-575 diesels have 5000 hours on them and still run like they are new.In july i ran the striker from sebastian florida to sanford florida.358 miles.took 40 hours in 4 days.burned 150 gallons at a average speed of 8-11 mph.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:40   #19

Boat: Catalina 34

This happened to a friend's boat (Wingspan) in Nassau back in 2009. It must have been a high concentration of gasoline because he ended up with major damage, was towed back and could seek no recourse, this having happened in The Bahamas. IIRC, the bill was between $2000 and $3000.
dfloeter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:02   #20
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker37 View Post
I mixed gas with clean used cooking oil to the same viscosity of diesel and ran it for 7 years in my chevy 6.2 liter diesel truck.Then ran straight used cooking oil for another 5 years.Now i run biodiesel that i make in my truck and boat generator.I had a guy give me a 55 gallon drum of diesel that had 15 gallons of gas mixed with it.I pumped it on top of 200 gallons in my striker37's fuel tank and ran it for 5 years with no problems.Never had a algae problem either.My strikers 1968 DAF DS-575 diesels have 5000 hours on them and still run like they are new.In july i ran the striker from sebastian florida to sanford florida.358 miles.took 40 hours in 4 days.burned 150 gallons at a average speed of 8-11 mph.
That's OK for old dungers but put that sort of brew in a modern common rail engine and you will cause thousands of dollars damage.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:03   #21

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

6 gal.of gas in 160 gal. of diesel is 4%.
Up nawth we call that "winter grade" diesel. It's not even as good as kerosene. Glad you got it pumped for peace of mind,but that small amount would do no harm. / Len
Old 09-12-2015, 12:10   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

No one seems to have considered that gasoline powered boats have all ignition protected electrics in the fuel and engine compartments. Not likely in most diesel powered boats. In most diesel powered boats the fuel fill fittings aren't even grounded.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:18   #23
Marine Service Provider

I like MarkSF's idea No. 2. Make them pump it all out and refill. Use a lubricating additive, make the marine pay for it.

It probably won't hurt but why take a chance. It's better that diesel in your gas. Had that done to me once. Not possible to pump out so run ten minutes, pull and clean the plugs, run ten minutes pull and clean the plugs, run ten minutes pull and clean the plugs. Do that until empty then fill with clean gas. .
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:24   #24

I collect diesel engines,i have several here that are common rail.Some direct and indirect engines.I test my alt fuels in all the engines and have never had a problem with any of them.And i am a diesel mechanic.I wouldnt trust anything any other so called diesel mech has to say.No one touches my engines except me.You can look but no touching.The cummins common rail engines love gas mixed with diesel and also like straight veggie oil.Ford 7.3 liter engines will not run any diesel with gas in it due to they have a pre heated fuel filter which causes a vapor lock and then causes a fuel pressure drop.Any diesel with a pre heated fuel filter will not run diesel gas mixture.Disconnect the pre heater and it will run the mix.You dont need a pre heater in florida.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:28   #25

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You'll be fine. A little gas in the diesel (just a little) will actually clean out any bio growth...just like diesel bio conditioner...so no need to add more. To be safe, fill the tank with diesel, since you have a bit more gas than necessary, but I think you will be fine, and your injectors will be super clean too.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:34   #26
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Or, a great opportunity to get the marina to pay to polish your fuel tank.
Can't polish out gasoline. Also, BoatPoker is right; 4% is a flammable mixture.

High school chem.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:38   #27

Just live with it and burn it up. Chances are it will remove a lot of wax buildup in your cylinders and kill the fungus.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:42   #28

Tell the marina they really F'ed up bad.
Say you don't trust them to fix it right.
Ask for a $2000 credit (towards your marina fees).

Then just run it through your engine, no harm done.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:48   #29

My Pearson (recently sold) originally had a gas Atomic 4, but was repowered with a Volvo Penta diesel.

Problem was, the fuel filler fitting was clearly marked GASOLINE ONLY. I usually had to sign a legal waiver stating I was aware they were putting diesel fuel into a gasoline fitting, and relinquishing them of all liability.

I wasted $40 (cdn, so about $15 US) on a little bottle of biocide before I found out a little gasoline would do the same job for just pennies (US, maybe dimes cdn).
Old 09-12-2015, 12:48   #30
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker37 View Post
The cummins common rail engines love gas mixed with diesel and also like straight veggie oil.
I meant modern, electronically controlled common rail
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel