Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 13:09   #31

Boat: Bristol 29
Re: Gas in Diesel Tank

The stupidity of so many posts continually astounds me. Adding gas to diesel makes it flammable and dangerous, and probably illegal. And as boatpoker pointed out, none of your systems are designed for this risk. It also decreases lubricity, which may damage your injectors. But it will kill the algae.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 13:18   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
My Pearson (recently sold) originally had a gas Atomic 4, but was repowered with a Volvo Penta diesel.

Problem was, the fuel filler fitting was clearly marked GASOLINE ONLY. I usually had to sign a legal waiver stating I was aware they were putting diesel fuel into a gasoline fitting, and relinquishing them of all liability.

I wasted $40 (cdn, so about $15 US) on a little bottle of biocide before I found out a little gasoline would do the same job for just pennies (US, maybe dimes cdn).
Which it is, or most are.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 17:16   #33

Boat: Leopard 47

(In a previous life I was a chemist.)

Gasoline and diesel are simply mixtures of hydrocarbons, different mixtures. They will mix completely.
2% gas in diesel will not be noticed.

(I admit that I don't understand the "lubricity" argument. I'm sure it's real but the effect will be quite minimal.)

Have fun. Don' worry!
Old 09-12-2015, 18:10   #34
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozdigennaro View Post
(In a previous life I was a chemist.)

Gasoline and diesel are simply mixtures of hydrocarbons, different mixtures. They will mix completely.
2% gas in diesel will not be noticed.

(I admit that I don't understand the "lubricity" argument. I'm sure it's real but the effect will be quite minimal.)

Have fun. Don' worry!
The lubricity is THE issue with modern common rail engines, as well as any toluene in the petrol that will harm the proportioning valve in the pump.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 18:17   #35
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
The stupidity of so many posts continually astounds me. Adding gas to diesel makes it flammable and dangerous, and probably illegal. And as boatpoker pointed out, none of your systems are designed for this risk. It also decreases lubricity, which may damage your injectors. But it will kill the algae.
I think you will find that diesel is flammable even without gas
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 18:22   #36
cruiser

Different flashpoints requiring different safety protocols.
Old 09-12-2015, 18:26   #37

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

So, can anyone quote what the change in flash point for such small concentrations of petrol in diesel might be? I suspect that the petrol might flash off readily, but I don't know for sure. If it does, then simply waiting a while would rid the fuel of the petrol component. If not, then there is no enhanced explosion risk.

jim
Old 09-12-2015, 18:52   #38
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
So, can anyone quote what the change in flash point for such small concentrations of petrol in diesel might be? I suspect that the petrol might flash off readily, but I don't know for sure. If it does, then simply waiting a while would rid the fuel of the petrol component. If not, then there is no enhanced explosion risk.

jim
Waiting would probably allow the aromatics to evaporate if the tank is agitated but the compounds that affect the lubricity may well remain. Straight diesel does not give off flammable aromatics at room temperature but petrol does, hence the increased flammability danger.
Old 09-12-2015, 19:04   #39

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
So, can anyone quote what the change in flash point for such small concentrations of petrol in diesel might be? I suspect that the petrol might flash off readily, but I don't know for sure. If it does, then simply waiting a while would rid the fuel of the petrol component. If not, then there is no enhanced explosion risk.jim
I bet if some pin head science person looked at this they would agree. How could the fumes of 6 gal of gas cause the 158 gal of diesel fumes to become explosive?
Did anyone mention the surface area of the tank? Where are all the fumes coming from? At what temp is all this happening? All this fume talk is bunk.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 19:13   #40

Posted by Evans Starzinger in another thread on this stupid idea. A 4% gas/diesel mixture has a flash point around 15C,59F. Think your engine room ever gets that hot? Honestly I don't mind if you blow yourselves up, but please don't take any unsuspecting passengers with you.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-155059.html

Old 09-12-2015, 19:25   #41

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=Sun and Moon;1982879]The stupidity of so many posts continually astounds me. Adding gas to diesel makes it flammable and dangerous,

I think that is just about the most stupid thing I have ever heard. You do not need to add gas to diesel to make it flammable.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 19:45   #42

flam·ma·ble ˈflaməb(ə)l/
adjective:easily set on fire

Strait diesel has a flash point of over 125 degrees and is not easily set on fire. Go try it sometime. Gasoline is easily set on fire, as are its fumes. Gasoline powered boats have more stringent safety requirements than diesel powered boats do.
Old 09-12-2015, 19:46   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I think that is just about the most stupid thing I have ever heard.
Oh the irony. Did you even look at the chart??? It's not about flammability, it is about flash point. 4% dilution of petrol lowers the flashpoint over 40 degrees to under 25 dgrees celcius, cooler than the average engineroom.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:12   #44

So in theory gas by itself will self ignite. Thus cars should be blowing up all over the place. Carpenters use to fill nail kegs with gasoline, no cover, just wooden barrels(pony size). Should have flashed over before the buildings were finished. Of course a diesel works by compression of gas, not by a spark plug. You can compress gas to kingdom come and not much is going to happen. However make it into an ultra fine mist and then compress the droplets, they will go bang. Compress it while removing the excess heat from compression and nothing will happen(why cold engines knock).
BTW, unless gasoline has reached a certain vapor point, it will not do much. Refine diesel and you get gasoline. Both can be ignited with open flames, explosions, or extreme heat(which works by converting the liquid to a gas).
Meanwhile all those folks who have added gas to their diesel for over a century probably should have been blown to bits by now according to the recent posts.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:23   #45
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

[QUOTE=Guy;1983202]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
The stupidity of so many posts continually astounds me. Adding gas to diesel makes it flammable and dangerous,

I think that is just about the most stupid thing I have ever heard. You do not need to add gas to diesel to make it flammable.
Don't post statements without basis. Embarrassing.

The definition of flammable is related to the specific code (dictionary def in this case is for casual use and is not specific). It is ALWAYS based PMCC (closed cup flash point). Liquids with flash points greater than these figures are combustible liquids, which are very different (flammables liquids have vapors which can ignite, un-heated combustible liquids do not).

Code Flash Point
EPA 140F
Building Code 140F
Road transportation 100F (assumption is that spills are in the open)
Marine transportation 140F

Home heating fuel (#2 oil) is required by code to have a flash point >140F, and in general it is very close to that. Road diesel is sometimes blended to 110-125F, but that is ONLY for road use and would be unsafe in a boat or home.

Folks get away with all sorts of things, but not forever. I've done 2 accident investigations related to gasoline getting mixed in the fuel. Things were blown apart. In both cases the ignition source was static. This cannot happen with diesel. Practices are much different for flammable liquids.

Tags
diesel