Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2023, 15:43   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Generator won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Don't you luv some previous owners
Good find and hopefully it will be a good outcome - eventually!
Well generator side works fine spun with a high speed drill. And a Chinese 6hp diesel is 250 or so on Amazon so worst case I replace motor
Old 11-02-2023, 15:54   #32

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Its just to far over fueled as in about double what it should have .
Apologies, missed post #25 above.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 16:03   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
Apologies, missed post #25 above.
No problem everyone is helping me to solve an issue never know what someone might get someday from all this
Old 11-02-2023, 16:17   #34

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
No problem everyone is helping me to solve an issue never know what someone might get someday from all this
There's a lot of good info on these posts if one looks wisely. Sometimes very dangerous/wrong info too. Be mindful the less the clearance between the pump and the cam will be the more advanced fuel timing. Even with the flow/volume? difference on the injector surprised it doesn't start or at least fart for you. Fart but not Idle I could see. Is the cam part # the same between the 70 and the 100? I.E. Are they limiting the volume in the pump piston volume or the stroke of the pump? Hope you get it going.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 15:07   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well I got the correct gaskets and installed proper torque and everything is good but still no fire not even burp on ether. I'm really scratching my head on this one now. Never had this much trouble with a diesel before . And I have been turning wrenches for ever it seems .
Old 04-03-2023, 17:23   #36

Don’t despair, there are still a few things to explore. I just read the overhaul manual with Sunday morning coffee, helluva a detailed publication and way better than the usual JH and LH service manuals.
First off, the speed control needs to be set at the “run” setting but since your engine is on a generator it should already be locked in that position. Then, inject 2cc of engine oil into the cylinder via the rubber capped cup, engage the decomp and try for a start. The decomp releases a bit for each rotation automatically.
If this fails, there’s another peculiar quality that the L70 has..... some are CW rotation and some are CCW.... different starter motor, different fan and I assume different oil pump flow. The ripcord case is the giveaway, the position of the recoil cord hole is in a different position........ and you mentioned that the case was not native to this engine.
Maybe, just maybe, it’s not turning in the correct direction. My engine turns clockwise when viewed from the generator side.
Pete J
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 17:29   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Don’t despair, there are still a few things to explore. I just read the overhaul manual with Sunday morning coffee, helluva a detailed publication and way better than the usual JH and LH service manuals.
First off, the speed control needs to be set at the “run” setting but since your engine is on a generator it should already be locked in that position. Then, inject 2cc of engine oil into the cylinder via the rubber capped cup, engage the decomp and try for a start. The decomp releases a bit for each rotation automatically.
If this fails, there’s another peculiar quality that the L70 has..... some are CW rotation and some are CCW.... different starter motor, different fan and I assume different oil pump flow. The ripcord case is the giveaway, the position of the recoil cord hole is in a different position........ and you mentioned that the case was not native to this engine.
Maybe, just maybe, it’s not turning in the correct direction. My engine turns clockwise when viewed from the generator side.
Pete J
Rotation is clockwise as the pull cord shows verified with valve actuation cycles.
Old 04-03-2023, 20:15   #38

One less thing to worry about. Mine is a real pain to start if I get it wrong, she has to be just off the compression stroke and she can tell if I’m not trying hard enough. I finally made the recoil cord out of Dyneema after breaking a couple of the OEM ones.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 12:28   #39

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Ok
Carb or break cleaner, if it won’t run on either of those - then you do not have compression - always the first place to start.

Oh and those Chinese copy’s LL100 are absolutely ***** - I used to modify them prior to them being sold, but could never stop the failures. and new parts were even worse as they are not tested prior to shipping.
Also we took 2 to Russia they had Russian badges but unmistakably Chinese, The first one lasted a whole day!
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator