Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2022, 20:53   #31

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: giant exhaust elbow

Great build, but make sure you support it well. An idling diesel really shakes, and with that kind of leverage the strain on the mounting bolts at the manifold will be huge. Some kind of bracket to support the top and reduce torque seems wise to me.
Old 12-01-2022, 17:30   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Well thats pretty much the same as what I built. What engine is it for?
Not looking for an argument here but whilst Gilow has the right idea our ysm8 has only a 3 bolt flange & I havent seen an engine shake more & the original manifold lasted for 41 years AFAIK. Also the original cast-iron engine killer elbow is a lot heavier than his new ss one so I dont think he will have a problem especially as he's made it out of sched 10 & not tube. I suspect he will find that clogging is far less of an issue now as OP no longer has the reduced i.d. of the yanmar elbow. Ours shows no sign of clogging but have only done 300 hrs since making the ss elbow so not long enough to give a definite answer AFAIK anyway. Only thing is I wouldnt have had the water injection pipe protruding inside but doubt it matters & it may help with spreading the water all around the pipe.
Looks a fine construction to me.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 18:00   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Well thats pretty much the same as what I built. What engine is it for?
Not looking for an argument here but whilst Gilow has the right idea our ysm8 has only a 3 bolt flange & I havent seen an engine shake more & the original manifold lasted for 41 years AFAIK. Also the original cast-iron engine killer elbow is a lot heavier than his new ss one so I dont think he will have a problem especially as he's made it out of sched 10 & not tube. I suspect he will find that clogging is far less of an issue now as OP no longer has the reduced i.d. of the yanmar elbow. Ours shows no sign of clogging but have only done 300 hrs since making the ss elbow so not long enough to give a definite answer AFAIK anyway. Only thing is I wouldnt have had the water injection pipe protruding inside but doubt it matters & it may help with spreading the water all around the pipe.
Looks a fine construction to me.

Good point, it certainly looks nice and light.

I’m a little paranoid about these things, too many years of nursing ancient corroded marine engines.
Old 12-01-2022, 18:40   #34

The original photos did not show it, but there is a brace for the only location it's likely to break, at the heat exchanger flange. The engine is a 4JH2E yanmar 50hp.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 22:18   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxengineerin View Post
The original photos did not show it, but there is a brace for the only location it's likely to break, at the heat exchanger flange. The engine is a 4JH2E yanmar 50hp.

How much to make one for my Beta 50? [emoji3]

Tags
elbow, exhaust