Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2009, 20:07   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Gord...Need Help 5411/z500

I am trying to locate a parts cross reference for a Universal 5411/Kubota Z500.

Specifically I need the exhaust manifold gasket and "freeze plugs"

I don't trust the company (rhymes with morrison) their pictures don't jive.

The two Kubota dealers near me say they can't look up parts for a Z-500 engine.....I think it is laziness on their part....Jaysus it is a two cylinder engine used on B1500 tractors....how much more info do they need?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 02:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Universal diesels being marinized Kubota tractor engines, your Dealer should just require the Kubota model number, that’s stamped on the dipstick.

The Universal M15/5411 is the Kubota Z-500 as used in the B5100 Tractor (NOT B1500)

M18 = Z-600
M25 = D-850
M25XP = D-950
M3-20 = D640
M30 = D-1101

Try
Keller Bros. (Tractor Smart)
250 Schaeffer Road, Lebanon, PA 17042
E-mail: parts@tractorsmart.com
Phone: 717-450-1250
Fax: 866-843-4340
Kubota parts online: TractorSmart.com is your online source for Kubota online parts.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 14:10   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Gord, what a great group to deal with!!!!!

At least they knew how to look something up in a parts book.

My biggest complaint today is "if it isn't in the computer it doesn't exist"
Most parts guys don't even know how to look something up in the rack of books they have.......yay for the modern dumbing down (education) system
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 16:23   #4

Similar 5411 issue

I got back from a cruise a few weeks ago to Maine that involved a possibly similar Universal 5411 failure. Up until this trip the motor had been absolutely dependable. We motored three straight days (no wind) down the Bay of Fundy and Gulf of Maine, from Saint John, New Brunswick to Northeast Harbor, Maine. Shortly after we got there we were motoring out of the harbor to test our systems before making the passage to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia when the engine started running hot and pumping large amounts of sea water out of the timing adjustment hole in the bell housing.

We slowly motored back to our Northeast Harbor, returned to our mooring to remove the engine and split the tranny off it. I am incredibly appreciative of John at Downeast Diesel in Southwest Harbor who fixed the engine the next morning. The frost plug behind the flywheel had pretty well corroded entirely away and the leaking seawater had then finally corroded through the quarter inch steel plate under the flywheel that the bell housing and starter bolt to, causing water to flow into the bell housing. It seems that problem had been developing for quite awhile. I would guess that that frost plug was not changed to bronze when the engine was marinized as the flywheel needed to come off to replace it. I reinstalled the motor the following day and after some adjustments we were on our way.

John had the skills and tools to make good gaskets in his shop which was good since I would not have wanted to wait to have them shipped in. He also had the appropriate standard frost plug in stock, so the job was quick - which saved the trip.

About Kabota parts I might mention that in my town there is a Kabota tractor dealer and a Kabota industrial engine dealer. The industrial engine dealer has been much more knowledgeable about the Z500 engine than the tractor dealer.

As you might imagine, my plan for the winter is to convert this engine to fresh water cooling to minimize the likelihood of having further corrosion problems. I just (ha ha) have to install the extra pump and heat exchanger that I already have on hand from another project. If anyone has a fresh water cooled 5411 engine I'd love to learn more about that installation.
Paul
pmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 19:35   #5

Paul,
It sounds like you had the good fortune to find a capable mechanic on short notice.
Did the SWH mechanic use a bronze frost plug as a replacement?
How hard was it to remove the flywheel?
I am keen to hear how your SW-FW cooling system conversion project goes.
David
Mahana is offline   Reply With Quote