Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2021, 14:58   #31

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Groundhog Day

Two things, Diane:

1) try making up some weasel piss (equal parts atf and acetone) to use instead of PBlaster. We've had really good luck with it.

2) Since you've put biocide in there to kill the algae, expect rapid filling up of fuel filters, so stock up on them before you leave.

Good on you for persisting with this. That d--n bolt sounds very frustrating to me.

Ann
Old 12-08-2021, 15:18   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Oh hell that sounds bad access to a vital part. I'm amazed you got it going last time without loosening that bleed screw or banjo bolt. They dont usually rust solid as the diesel keeps the banjo bolts/bleed screws wet. I'd say it's just a sufficient torque ( brute strength ) to loosen. maybe a ratchet head/flexy head spanner would help. I guess that goes back to Wotties suggestion of a mechanic having those tools.
Personally I'm rooting for you to win on yr own.
Now you know why mechanics swear a lot.
I think to myself I could sort yr engine problem out in 1/2 an hr if I was local but maybe it's more of a battle with access. Still be easier than writing posts tho. lol

Glad to hear the frustrastion reliever is at the right temp.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 20:14   #33
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djousset View Post
Still. Not. There.

After reading thru all the responses again I am sure that the air is between the secondary filter and the injectors. The screw on the high pressure pump is in the worst possible place, I actually removed walls that aren't meant to be removed to try to get to it. Looks like an allen wrench fitting in a nut, which is backed by a bigger nut...maybe... I can't even get a socket or adjustable in there. Grrr. I did loosen the solid lines to the injectors and couldn't force fuel thru there, which I think confirms things. Some PB blaster and a some choice sailor words and I'll be back at it tomorrow. At least I have refrigeration now so meals and beverages are less dismal.
Two points

First, any chance of a photo of the bleed screw/banjo fitting at input of injection pump. I understand that access is difficult however your description isn't really describing what is there usually. Usually there is a banjo bolt along with a hex headed bleed screw in the top of the banjo bolt. The hex headed bleed screw has a Phillips screw head in the middle of it. That is, it is usually can be undone easily with either a Phillps No2 screwdriver or a hex socket. Your's sounds like something else, maybe an internal hex screw going into the banjo bolt. A picture would help tremendously! Even if the bleed screw is un-moveable, you can bleed by loosening the banjo bolt. You may need a deep wall single hex socket and a lot of muscle / leverage to move it though. Keep tearing the boat apart for access if needed .

Second you say "I did loosen the solid lines to the injectors and couldn't force fuel thru there". I not sure what you mean by force and where you applied this force. However if you mean you have tried 'pushing' fuel by using a squeeze bulb (or anything else) somewhere in between the tank and the injection pump, rest assured it will not work. To repeat - you cannot push fuel from the input side of the injection pump through to the outlet side. The only way to get fuel from the input side of the injection pump to the output side is to rotate the injection pump i.e spin the engine over.

You have to get air free air fuel at the input side of the injection pump before spinning the injection pump and having the injection pump force high pressure fuel into the steel piping going to the injectors. This is when you loosen the union at the injectors to let the high pressure air out.

Oh wait...you could try this - using the squeeze bulb, loosen the return line (at the injector end) and push like mad. Depending on the return line set up, you might get lucky and push any air that is still in the fuel line out though the return line. This might get air free fuel up to the input of the injector pump. If it does, you will still need to bleed the high side (steel lines going to the injectors).

Good luck
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 02:57   #34

djousset, I do hope I am not insulting your intelligence but I am posting a picture of what I think your injector pump bleed screw should look like. This may be helpful (or not). The injector pump itself will be slightly different to the one shown but I expect the banjo fitting will be the same. This pump was removed from a 2QM20 Yanmar engine which is an earlier engine than your GM. I haven't undone the bleed screw yet but I not expecting too much trouble and at least I have better access than you .

While you would normally loosen the 10mm hex bleed screw, you can bleed at this point by loosening the 17mm banjo bolt. If you can't get a socket onto the banjo bolt, you should use a flare nut spanner (wrench) and definitely not an adjustable wrench.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Injector Pump Fittings.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	243702  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 14-08-2021, 05:34   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988

@wotname: no insult, I take every bit of advice I can get. Hex nut and banjo bolt set up are just as your photo.
@JPA Cate, yes on the filters, thx for the heads up
@compass790: I pulled parts off til I had decent access and...

After two days and many hours I was able to get the screw on the injector pump loosened/bled (don’t ask, it wasn’t pretty) and bled everything from thank to pump. I also cracked the fuel lines to the injectors (also not pretty), cranked a couple of times (decompressed with raw water intake closed) and then went with full-on start. It started …… and as I was celebrating excessively it stopped, just like that. Sigh. But hey, it started so I must be headed in the right direction. I also learned a few things, you cannot re-use copper crush washers, a vice grip is a great tool and a persuasion hammer can be useful.

I have a new injector pump bleed screw in hand, as well as new copper washers, and I will get there. In the meantime I am working on a new ukulele song, The Yanmar Blues: Bleed Out.
Thanks for the advice and encouragement, it does help one push through.

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 05:57   #36

^^Woo Hoo

My guess is there is still a bit of air working it's way through on the high pressure side.

I'll pretend I didn't hear you say "vice grips" but hey, sometimes you gotta do whatever it takes so again
Old 14-08-2021, 16:12   #37
Marine Service Provider

Ummm. I shouldnt lead a newbie down a this path but..... I cant help myself.
Sometimes you can reuse copper crush washers, just heat them red hot on yr LPG/propane stove. It gets tricky if the thickness is an issue but on a banjo bolt you are ok till they get quite thin. Of course copper washers are cheap to buy if you dont buy them off the Yanmar mafia. Just giving you an alternative if you are away from supply.I know of a few other work arounds but I'll keep quiet on those as they are risky if used in the wrong place as I've learnt.

You are getting better at this, frustrating as it maybe. Like Wottie, I'd suspect still some air working its way through. I just hope that none is getting sucked in.
Good pic Wotname.
Hang in there Diane, sometimes it takes a bit of cranking & spraying diesel everywhere to get that pesky air out.
Its best to tighten that injector pump bleed screw & the injector line nuts after they stop bubbling air in the diesel whilst you are cranking. So its a 2 person job.
Might be repeating myself there but it's not second nature to you so a bit of repetition never hurts.
Dying to hear it's running sweet as a nut.
Old 14-08-2021, 17:32   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hallelujah kumbaya

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8A61vifdj9Xd4o3t9

djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 17:54   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by djousset View Post
Right.ON!
That's a glorious sound to hear!

Now, just to reassemble the access pieces that were disassembled... whistling:

Well done, Diane. See? Wottie was right. It wasn't beyond you.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 18:10   #40

Sweet sounds!!!!
Old 14-08-2021, 18:19   #41

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

When I do something like that I start the celebration.

Then the next day I say "Maybe I should have written down how I did it and what the heck I actually did!"

A friend once told me: "Only do one thing at a time, 'cuz if it works, you'll never know what really did the trick."
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 19:02   #42

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Awesome! We share in your joy.
Old 14-08-2021, 19:12   #43
Marine Service Provider

Yee hah! Oh glorious sound.
Well not really, I prefer the sound of sailing but in this case... YES

Great persistence Diane, I can rest my brain from trying to make a post legible now, though I need the practice.
Good on ya.
Old 16-08-2021, 04:40   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks all, it sure feels good to have gotten to the other side.
Photo below of fuel line I found along the way (yikes!) and the rusted bleed screw/banjo bolt. Also a link to the shaft, how much vibration is ok? This was at idle.

Name:	PXL_20210814_205113030.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	243826

Name:	PXL_20210813_121434751.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	243827

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EhuV1X2RPpYHrHNg8