Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2007, 11:29   #1

Hard Starting Yanmar 3GM30

I have a Yanmar 3GM30 diesel engineon my 34' Hunter that does not want to start after setting for 6 or 7 days. This started occurring after I had a mechanic replace a timing gear cover which required disconnecting the govenor. Prior to this work the engine would start with very little starter input. Now, I have to run the starter for 15 seconds, let the starter cool for about 1 minute, and repeat several times before the engine starts. It tries to start during this process but just can't quite catch. When it does finally start there is a cloud of black exhaust. If I restart the engine within 2 or 3 days, it starts immediately. I'm thinking there is a small leak somewhere in the fuel line that is allowing fuel to drain from the delivery lines back into the fuel tank, but this is just a guess. Has anyone else had this type of problem with a Yanmar, or other type of diesel engine, or have any ideas on where the problem may be?
sailcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 12:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
If the engine has started fine upto the point of someone working on it, chances are he has done something. I could imagine he has upset the timing. First course of action is get the guy back and say, you broke it, you fix it.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 13:47   #3

Because the injector pump needs to be removed to remove the timing cover. I'd be willing to be there is and air leak at the injector pump.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, yanmar