Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2019, 01:45   #1

Boat: 9m steel motor sailer
Heater take-off points on Perkins?

Old and reliable Perkins 4-270 with keel cooling. I want to run a radiator using the engine cooling system/pump. Where do I fit the hot-offtake and cooler-return pipes?
Thanks
coromandeljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:28   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Heater take-off points on Perkins?

Probably near the keel cooler, add tees and maybe valves to regulate how much flow goes to the heater. Or at the engine where the lines to the keel cooler connect.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:58   #3

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coromandeljohn View Post
Old and reliable Perkins 4-270 with keel cooling. I want to run a radiator using the engine cooling system/pump. Where do I fit the hot-offtake and cooler-return pipes?
Thanks

The outlet to the calorifier should come from the head and then the return should go into the feed to the keel. this ensures that you have maximum heating and good pressure and the return flow then goes to the keel to make sure that the fluid is cooled. There should be a plug that you can remove and install a valve in the head. Make sure that you use shutoff valves in the system on both the supply and return side so you can isolate it if there are any problems. If you need further information I suggest that you contact boatyparts16@hotmail.com and Daniel would be glad to get you the schematic from Perkins for the calorifier. He can also sell you all the fittings, valves and adaptors for hosing as required.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:03   #4

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
The outlet to the calorifier should come from the head and then the return should go into the feed to the keel. this ensures that you have maximum heating and good pressure and the return flow then goes to the keel to make sure that the fluid is cooled. There should be a plug that you can remove and install a valve in the head. Make sure that you use shutoff valves in the system on both the supply and return side so you can isolate it if there are any problems. If you need further information I suggest that you contact boatyparts16@hotmail.com and Daniel would be glad to get you the schematic from Perkins for the calorifier. He can also sell you all the fittings, valves and adaptors for hosing as required.

I forgot to mention that if your waterheater is above the engine then you may have to adjust the coolant levels and bleed the system with the engine running.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:50   #5

Boat: Adams 42

Not sure of the keel cooling flow chart but my perkins has a manifold heat exchange setup.
To install a car radiator heating system on mine I have tapped off the coolant pump outlet where there is a plug for that purpose. The return feeds back between the thermostat housing and the block.
In positioning the plumbing this way you get full use of the heating ability prior to the opening of the thermostat ( I.E. as the engine is warming up).
To direct the flow to your radiator you will need to put a restriction in the bypass hose. I have used a coin with a 7 mm hole drilled in it.
The installation keeps the whole boat toasty in icy temperatures.
The car radiator came with a 12 volt fan which now pushes air by reversing the polarity and a 2 way switch with a 20 watt globe on the alternate circuit reducing the fan speed to almost inaudible pitch.
The one downside is with long spells of idling the motor, oil buildup in the exhaust system leads to an embarrassing cloud of smoke when you first load the engine heavily.
A most effective heater, minimal installation and running costs, unobtrusive and an excellent dehumidifier in more temperate climates.
Frugal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, perkins