Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2019, 18:59   #1

Help me redesign my exhaust system

Currently our wet exhaust goes overboard on the port side, adjacent to the helm. On a windy day this can be quite a problem, as you can imagine, and the cockpit passengers are usually soaked with water after a short while. My plan is to move it to the stern. Our boat was originally equipped with a diesel heater that was in the lazarette, which no longer exists so there is now room for the exhaust.

The length should be about the same, as currently the hose runs forward from the muffler to the front of the engine room, under the galley, then aft again and up to the gooseneck. The attached image shows the proposed route.

We have 2-3/8 mixing elbow and thus all of the wet exhaust line is 2-3/8 as well as the centek muffler. My first point of worry is that looking online this muffler says it is rated for up to 25 HP diesel, we have a 75 HP diesel!

Admittedly this hasn't been a problem thus far, but is it something worth looking into further? Some of the Vetus sales literature makes me think I need about $1000 worth of equipment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	188941  
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 08:04   #2

Boat: Dickerson 37AC
Re: Help me redesign my exhaust system

I have pretty much same setup on my 44B Westerbeke. Small Centek fiberglass waterlift in engine compartment and then led aft.

In my lazarette I have this type gooseneck from Vetus which allows me to get almost to deck level with exhaust. Then it goes down and exits at transom above waterline. I think it's a nicely packaged solution to avoid siphoning.

https://www.vetus.com/en/exhaust-sys...isne-8339.html

One thing I have noticed is that when I'm ragging on the engine, it will squat the transom down enough that the exhaust is slightly underwater. I never run at that speed but just maybe take a mental note of where the water is when you are fully powered up before cutting the hole. The Vetus install sheet gives minimum dimensions for this
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 09:14   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Help me redesign my exhaust system

See ➥ http://realitycheck.me/docs/waterliftmuffler.pdf
And ➥ Good Old Boat - Cool and Quiet and trouble-free article
And ➥ https://www.sbmar.com/featured-artic...xhaust-systems

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust