Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 18:27   #16

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: help with fuel line fittings - diy steel lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Copper isn't recommended for use with diesel. Use steel.
I have an ex commercial fishing vessel that would have been in survey.
Guess what the fuel lines are made from and it ain't steel.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 18:47   #17

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

My !987 4-108 has steel lines, painted of course, which are just showing signs of corrosion, I do go and clean up and paint any spots on my motor that show flaking or paint peeling, so that might account for the longevity of those lines.
The rest of the fuel system is copper, it's a 1987 Cheoy Lee Pedrick 47, so all the on the boat are copper, fuels, water, waste (1-1/2 inch cooper!). My only reservation with copper is unsupported lengths, vibration can lead to cracking in copper lines, then again it can lead to cracking in steel or stainless steel lines.
The key, no matter what you eventually choose to use is to make sure you use good tools, dedicated single size tubing benders, a double flare tool for flares, don't even bother with the one size fits all tools.
Make sure to properly secure the lines and don't have long, unsupported runs. Brass is out, some brass lines tend to crack too easily in the presence of vibration. Copper depends on what grade of copper tubing your using, there are thicker and thinner walled grades. Same with stainless, depending on grade and alloy it can be relatively easy to use or a bitch. Depends on your skill level.
I'm currently in the middle of a major refit of my boat, the engine is just back from the machine shop, ready to assemble, I'm also trying to decide what injection tubing material to use since I'm replacing all my lines.
Fortunately I already have all the tubing tools from my dark past building custom cars and bikes, some tools have universal applications.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 17:50   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

There are also commercial hydraulic shops in every major city. Places where you can rent cherry pickers and light construction equipment. These guys are familiar with making up custom hydraulic lines and can usually make up fuel lines or fittings, whatever you need, very reasonably. The aviation guys do the same thing--but if they're working to FAA regulations, they may be a bit more expensive.(G)

Best thing you can do with ANY type of flared fittings, is buy an extra yard to tubing and plan on making, then throwing out, the first half dozen flares you attempt to make. Most folks will throw out the first one or two in any case.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 18:03   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
There are also commercial hydraulic shops in every major city. Places where you can rent cherry pickers and light construction equipment. These guys are familiar with making up custom hydraulic lines and can usually make up fuel lines or fittings, whatever you need, very reasonably. The aviation guys do the same thing--but if they're working to FAA regulations, they may be a bit more expensive.(G)

Best thing you can do with ANY type of flared fittings, is buy an extra yard to tubing and plan on making, then throwing out, the first half dozen flares you attempt to make. Most folks will throw out the first one or two in any case.
Practice, practice, practice. There'll be few scrap pieces.
Making a pattern out of coat hanger wire is also a good trick, if you don't have full originals to use as a guide.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, steel