Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2024, 13:18   #1

Help with volvo penta md11c gearbox MS

Dear friends

My old volvo penta md11c just does not go our of back gear. Cables work fine and I suspect that the problem is in the gearbox, probably the cone.
As you can imagine, absolutely no mechanic in Danmark where I live, thinks that it is worth to try to repair the gearbox. A new gearbox is my only hope to keep my summer sailing vacations alive. A spare part from Holland costs over 1200usd. I found and inexpensive spare part but neither me or the seller are sure that it would fit.

I call the volvo penta experts for help. Could this gearbox here, (originally from MD5 I think) fit my MD11c?

Thanks for your help!
javisea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 18:05   #2

Re: Help with volvo penta md11c gearbox MS

As you probably know there were MS and MSB transmissions. The main difference was the cone clutch (steel or brass) and the the gear cups that the cone clutch engaged with. The steel cone engaged with gear cups with friction material lining and the brass cone engaged with gears cups with no friction material. As long as the internals of the gear are in reasonable condition this will make no difference.

The difference you will encounter is that the front casting on the gearbox is different between the MD11 and the MD5. On the MD11 engine the crankshaft end does not sit in the center of the circle where the gearbox bolts to the engine, and on the MD5 engine the crank shaft is centered.

So this means the front casting of your gearbox will have to be swapped with the one on the new gearbox.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 01:46   #3

Re: Help with volvo penta md11c gearbox MS

That was very helpful, thanks a lot. If never done it myself, it is difficcult/time consuming to change the casting of the gear box or it is straight forward?
I am askind because the md5 used gearboxes cost much less here that the excentric md11c. Like that I could make the reparation on a budget.

Thanks agaib
javisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, gearbox, penta, volvo