Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2022, 16:27   #1

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Help with Yanmar 2QM20 Panel Wiring

I need the collective wisdom of those who know these things.

I am re-wiring and up-grading from my old panel to a new/refurbished.

I thought I had it pretty well sorted out but now I am having trouble.

The engine is a Yanmar 2QM20. It uses a magnetic sensor for the tach. It was an option that mine did not have but I bought what I believe is the correct sensor.

I have 3 wires left, and I'm trying to make sure I have them correct.

From the picture of the back of the panel you will see an orange send for the tach, a black which should be ground, and a red/black which I am guessing is power for any auxiliary equipment. I plan to use it for the electric fuel pump in my system.

I have a schematic but my colors don't match this panel so they are not a big help for this.

I believe the orange goes to one side of the sensor and I can just ground the other terminal. Is that correct ?

Also, there are no markings on the sensor so does it matter ? I should connect the orange 'Send" to one side and just ground the other ?

I appreciate any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panel.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	266488   Click image for larger version

Name:	newold.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	266489  

Old 29-10-2022, 17:38   #2

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57
Re: Help with Yanmar 2QM20 Panel Wiring

Something I need to do as my tachometer doesn't work either. I do know a hall sensor has a right side up and will not work upside-down, but I think yanmar stuff is pre-assembled, so that shouldn't be an issue. Schematics based on color are rarely helpful. Based on what mine looks like, you have it right.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2022, 07:35   #3

Yeah, after looking at multiple schematics on the internet I'm fairly certain that one side of the sensor is the "Send" from the tach and the other just goes to ground.

I also think that if I have it backwards - since the sensor terminals are not labeled - it just won't work and I can reverse it.

FWIW, in case anyone else is dealing with the magnetic sensor I found a site on installation. Using a flat blade screwdriver rotate the flywheel until a tooth is centered in the sensor opening. Screw in the sensor just until it makes contact with the tooth and then back off one-half turn. Tighten down the lock ring until secure.

I'm hoping to finish up the panel swap this week and I'll post the results here just for future reference. I'm sure there must be plenty of Yanmars out there without a tach that owners would appreciate having.

Old 03-11-2022, 11:59   #4

Re: Help with Yanmar 2QM20 Panel Wiring - Update

in case it helps anyone I finished up the panel install today and I'm really pleased with how it went, especially that everything works - haha - and I now also have a working tach.

The magnetic sensor does indeed work with just the one "sensor" wire and the other terminal just goes to ground. I was able to calibrate it using a free app on my Samsung that uses your camera's flash.

Interestingly enough I found - just like on my Cape Dory 28 when I did the same thing - I was running the engine at a lower setting than I realized. Diesel's are noisy beasts and you might think you've got it revved pretty high when you really don't.

In any case, I can tick that project off the list and move on to others !

Old 03-11-2022, 17:29   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Looks great. I love adding shrink tube on everything and no-ox grease.
Some instruments have their lamps switched and dual red white lamps
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2qm20, wiring, yanmar