Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 14:42   #1

Boat: Beneteau 343
High Idle Cap Loose on Yanmar 3YM30

I recently noticed that my high idle cap isn't tight on my 11 year old engine with 1000 hours. I am not sure it ever was. Does anyone know if it needs be tight? It isn't coming off; just loose and able to spin.

On a related note, I have noticed my idle RPMs seems to be low and I am looking to adjust up a bit. This is how I discovered the loose high idle cap.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:36   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: High Idle Cap Loose on Yanmar 3YM30

'Free to rotate' doesn't seem to be the normal condition for an adjustment bolt, and though the service manual (in my quick perusal) doesn't say to tighten it, there appears to be a lock nut on both idle adjustments, which would seem to indicate they should be locked...

Manual here, https://j109.org/docs/yanmar_3ym-2ym-service-manual.pdf adjustment procedures seem simple enough.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:58   #3

Looked at it again, there is a cap on something called the 'FO limiter'. Don't know what 'FO' signifies (fuel output?), but if that is what you're referring to, it should probably be snug.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:53   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

" it should probably be snug."

Jim, you can go beyond "probably." There's no point to an adjustor bolt, or any other bolt on an engine, being loose. Given that Emerald is concerned for idle speed, and this is an idle speed adjustor, the obvious route is to adjust it and see what happens to idle speed. It should bear against the throttle in some manner. Since you have the drawing, can you advise Emerald on what it does?
Old 05-02-2020, 05:18   #5

Really too much to be conveyed here, which is why I linked to the manual. In case ECS's out of internet scope, here's a couple pages from the manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1F.png
Views:	297
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	208189   Click image for larger version

Name:	1F2.png
Views:	207
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	208190  

Name:	1F3.png
Views:	124
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	208191  
Old 05-02-2020, 07:40   #6

I am learning about this subject via the parts manual and your input (which I appreciate); my initial thought was that the high idle element was distinctly different than the low-idle adjustment bolt. My problem seems to be that I am getting too much vibration at too low of an idle (less than 700 RPM).

PDF of the governor parts attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Governor pages.pdf (1.57 MB, 91 views)
Old 05-02-2020, 23:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCoastSailor View Post
I am learning about this subject via the parts manual and your input (which I appreciate); my initial thought was that the high idle element was distinctly different than the low-idle adjustment bolt. My problem seems to be that I am getting too much vibration at too low of an idle (less than 700 RPM).

PDF of the governor parts attached.
It's not unusual for different manuals to have conflicting or wrong information, or to even have it in the same manual.

In your parts breakdown, it is unclear if item 139, the hi speed cap, is threaded or not. If not, it may or may not be free to spin, it doesn't matter if it does; the nut 11 should be tight and should hold the hi-speed limit screw in place.

If item 139 is threaded, hold nut 11 with a wrench (after ensuring that it is locking the high idle screw in place) and just snug 139 up to it to hold it in place.

To adjust the low idle, loosen nut 87 and adjust idle with screw 78. When you get it where you want it (book says 825), lock it there with nut 87.

Before you begin, make sure the throttle cable is securely fastened and has full range of motion in both directions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1pu.png
Views:	181
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	208229   Click image for larger version

Name:	1F2.png
Views:	235
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	208232  

Old 06-02-2020, 00:34   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Looked at it again, there is a cap on something called the 'FO limiter'. Don't know what 'FO' signifies (fuel output?), but if that is what you're referring to, it should probably be snug.
FO = Fuel oil i.e. diesel
(AFAIK)
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCoastSailor View Post
I recently noticed that my high idle cap isn't tight on my 11 year old engine with 1000 hours. I am not sure it ever was. Does anyone know if it needs be tight? It isn't coming off; just loose and able to spin.

On a related note, I have noticed my idle RPMs seems to be low and I am looking to adjust up a bit. This is how I discovered the loose high idle cap.

Any chance it’s the anti tamper cover as in this case, also on a Yanmar Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2341.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	208239
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:22   #10

Skipperpete,
That is exactly what it is. WDYT?
Old 06-02-2020, 04:45   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

If you are getting strong vibrations at a particular RPM, or narrow range of RPMs, you are likely dealing with a resonant frequency, a frequency of produced minor vibration that drives greater vibration, in the same way as a tuning fork vibrates at one frequency when struck. All physical objects have resonate frequencies. In the general case, do not set your idle in that range, or run the engine at that speed when underway.

Tags
3ym30, yanmar