Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 14:34   #16

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Re: High oil pressure in my Westerbeke 44C

I think you may have installed the wrong kind of oil filter. Some filters have an oil pressure release valve which is set to the correct operating oil pressure incorporated in the filter, other engines have an oil pressure release valve incorporated into the engine itself.

From what I have seen, the trend seems to be to use one in the filter, rather than spend the extra money in machining and fitting one in the engine.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 14:57   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
High oil pressure in my Westerbeke 44C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
I think you may have installed the wrong kind of oil filter. Some filters have an oil pressure release valve which is set to the correct operating oil pressure incorporated in the filter, other engines have an oil pressure release valve incorporated into the engine itself.

From what I have seen, the trend seems to be to use one in the filter, rather than spend the extra money in machining and fitting one in the engine.

That can only bypass the filter, it’s called a cold oil relief valve. It’s purpose is to allow cold, thick oil to bypass the filter because the filter can’t flow cold, thick oil and that would starve the engine of oil flow, and pressure.
A filter could possibly block flow, decreasing oil pressure and flow, but it can’t increase it.

A good engine will hit an oil pressure point, say 55 PSI when you crank it up cold, then at low RPM the pressure will decrease, but when run at cruise, it’s back to that initial pressure, in the case 55 PSI.
In that engine the pressure relief valve is set to 55 PSI and the engine is in good shape, cause the oil pressure is determined by the relief valve.

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/TechTips201409.html
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 15:25   #18

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

High oil pressure can be caused by the blocking of oil galleries, seen it on larger diesels when the bearings wiped. Not saying that it is. I would say anything between 28psi and 70 psi is fine.
Are you using thicker oil.
Sometimes there is a oil bleed screw, if your engine has one, check to make sure its locked.
You need to install that bourden tube pressure gauge to determine the truth.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:39   #19

Boat: Leopard 38

A64Pilot, thanks for the tutorial on engine oil pressure. The answer will have to wait until I can get a pressure gauge to confirm the pressure. Very likely to be the wiring or a connector. Of course, the connectors are zip tied to a bulkhead, impossible to get to...

Ran again today for six hours with no sign of stress on the engine. Will focus on gauge/sender/wiring for now.

Appreciate all the help!
RickMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:48   #20

Boat: Leopard 38

Acquired an oil pressure gauge and attached it to the engine. My eyes lit up when the gauge read 55 on starting. Other tests indicated a bad gauge so will get one when next in port.

Now, to fix the alarm. Is it possible that the 10 A fuse bolted behind the solenoid is bad? Will test it with a multimeter and see. Is that an auto parts store item, or proprietary Westerbeke?
RickMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, westerbeke