Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2013, 18:03   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 48 T
High Oil Pressure Old Perkins 4.236

OK HELP please,, just did an oil change in my Perkins 4.236 (1985 -85HP) and added an oil additive highly recommended (from France Eco Tec T2S and I put in less than recommended), and now the oil pressure reads 100 which is as high as the gauge goes,, I did a spot test on the heat and it seems ok about 100F at the filter and the engine temp is cool but I shut the engine down just in case.

When I looked around the net some say no worries high pressure after an oil change and an additive is good and it should come others say it should not:banghead be above 85,, it use to run at 40-60,,, so of course now I do wonder.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/...s/banghead.gif

Do I change the oil again and get ride of what I can of the additive or run it for a bit and see what the heck happens????
Thanks
Sandi
I Yam What I Yam
Sandiiyam48t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 20:40   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: High Oil Pressure Old Perkins 4.236

Does the gauge immediately read max. or does it slowly climb up to max?

I would check the pressure gauge before doing anything else. Somewhere on here there is a table of values for different gauges. It gives the voltage/resistance levels for different readings of the gauge.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 20:52   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Hum. I'm thinking the additive may have clogged the oil pressure relief valve. While generally high oil pressure is not a problem, at low temperatures the oil does not flow very well. Excessively high oil pressure could cause the oil filter to spring a leak. The engine itself is probably OK. I might start and run it for 3-4 minutes. But then again changing the oil and filter again will not hurt anything except the pocketbook.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 20:58   #4

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Just to add to what DeepFrz already said.

The sender is 10-180ohms and an open circuit between the gauge and sender will cause the gauge to go to maximum; But this would happen as soon as the gauges are powered up (usually when ignition is turned on).

The oil pressure should not be more than 60psi. the maximum pressure is regulated by a valve in the engine.

Perhaps you accidentally disconnected a wire when changing the oil.

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 21:05   #5

Verify the oil pressure gauge is correct by substituting a mechanical gauge in place of the sending unit.

If it still reads high, the bypass in the oil pump is stuck closed.
dannobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 21:18   #6
Marine Service Provider

NahanniV,

Your Eropeanness is showing> VDO Europe is 10-180 ohm, 99.9% of American gauges use the SW Standard 33-240 ohms.

A gauge that immediately goes to full scale usually indicates a short to ground, either in the gauge or the sender wire from the gauge, or shorted sender.

Gauges measure resistance to ground, so the low scale is the maximum resistance and the high scale is the minimum..ie: full ground.

Some fuel senders are 0-30 ohm, or 10-90ohm. Delco/SW old school.

So it's easy to determine the fault. If you have a plugged oil pressure relief valve.

Ohm out the gauge/cicruit before you start the motor.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Just to add to what DeepFrz already said.

The sender is 10-180ohms and an open circuit between the gauge and sender will cause the gauge to go to maximum; But this would happen as soon as the gauges are powered up (usually when ignition is turned on).

The oil pressure should not be more than 60psi. the maximum pressure is regulated by a valve in the engine.

Perhaps you accidentally disconnected a wire when changing the oil.

Cheers,
JM.
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 21:30   #7

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
NahanniV,

Your Eropeanness is showing> VDO Europe is 10-180 ohm, 99.9% of American gauges use the SW Standard 33-240 ohms.

A gauge that immediately goes to full scale usually indicates a short to ground, either in the gauge or the sender wire from the gauge.

Gauges measure resistance to ground, so the low scale is the minimum scale and the high is the max scale..ie: full ground.

Some fuel senders are 0-30 ohm, or 10-90ohm. Delco/SW old school.

So it's easy to determine the fault. If you have a plugged oil pressure relief valve.

Ohm out the gauge/cicruit before you start the motor.

Lloyd
You are correct. I am making some assumptions based on the fact that I have a similar engine (4.236M). The gauges and senders are both VDO.

Other installations or engine variants could be fitted with other gauges and senders.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 21:51   #8

Go to the nearest auto parts store and get a mechanical gauge and retest. Another thought, did you put some aftermarket oil filter on that might be blocking the oil passage? Or maybe just a faulty filter(not likely,but possible). Perkins made lots of changes over the years, and an old engine might take a different filter than a newer 4-236. Gauge first, then on to other tests. Good luck. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, perkins