Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2019, 08:04   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42F Mk II
High output alternator for Volvo TAMDB 22, 76hp

I am the owner of a HR 42-F Mk II, powered wit I ts original Volvo Penta 76 hp TAMD 22. I wonder if any you could provide me with the following info:

The original Alternator is a 70 Amp. Valeo, I believe. Do you have any advice as to a higher output replacement I could install?. I would need some 90-100 Amps. I tried with a 90 Amp Prestolite but it failed after about 50 hours of running time.

And, since I’m at it, does anyone know the precise size and pitch of the original 3-blade fixed propeller mounted by HR on this model. I bought the boat with a 15”-16.5” Gori folding prop (with which I’m happy) but I’d like to carry a fixed prop as a spare.

Many thanks to all,
C.
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:52   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: High output alternator for Volvo TAMDB 22, 76hp

I have a boat with twins and 2 generators. I switched all alternators to GM 140 amp CS-144. They are common as dirt and available online and everywhere in the US and Canada. A new one is under $100 and used ones are at any junk yard for about $30. There are rebuild kits for bearings, diodes, etc. New ones are on eBay that output up to 300 amps.
Some of my CS-144 alternators have hundreds of hours on them. The pulley can be changed to single V, double V, or serpentine. But if you're going to use all of the power, you have to have either a double belt or serpentine.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alt_cs144_curve.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	195701   Click image for larger version

Name:	CS-144 image.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	195702  

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:01   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Aubrey, this is worth a read:

https://marinehowto.com/marine-alter...n-tips-tricks/

Maine sail the author is also a member of the forum.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:18   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Especially with charging LFP or other very high-amp loads, it is easy to murder a stock alt setup by loading it with too high a continuous current demand.

Most ratings are fiction, short peak loading at best.

Even a hugely oversized alt will not put drag on your engine except in proportion to the load you allow through your VR.

If you need 100A, put in an alt "rated" for much more, 140+A would be a good start.

Then use an adjustable external VR to de-rate it for reliability and longer life.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:00   #5

Gentlemen -

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I will see whether the CS-144 is easily obtainable in Europe. Sometimes sourcing parts in the US is self-defeating due to custom duties and shipping costs.

And thank you as well for the 'marinehowto' link. I didn't know of this site.

Cheers again,
Aubrey
Old 11-07-2019, 06:57   #6

The standard alternator for the TMD 22 engine was a Valeo 60 amp. unit, and if I recall correctly it was driven by a single 3/8" v belt, although it could have been a 1/2" belt. If you plan on replacing this 60 amp. unit with something with higher output, it will almost certainly require a different drive belt arrangement, and that could be problematic with the crank pulley and the circulation pump pulley.

An alternative solution could be the addition of a second alternator, and I believe VP offered two different secondary alternator kits for this, depending on the engine vintage. One kit positioned the extra alternator on the opposite side of the engine from the standard alternator, and the other kit involved brackets, etc. to mount the extra alternator straight up on the top of the engine, assuming there is room in the engine room for this.

My recommendation would be to look into the second alternator idea and leave the standard alternator in place to charge the engine starting battery and avoid problems with the engine alarm system. Aftermarket alternators in place of the factory unit frequently give headaches with charging alarms, etc.

If you do some research I think you can find out about the mounting brackets and crankshaft pulleys that were available for your engine.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:01   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post
I am the owner of a HR 42-F Mk II, powered wit I ts original Volvo Penta 76 hp TAMD 22. I wonder if any you could provide me with the following info:

The original Alternator is a 70 Amp. Valeo, I believe. Do you have any advice as to a higher output replacement I could install?. I would need some 90-100 Amps. I tried with a 90 Amp Prestolite but it failed after about 50 hours of running time.
The stock Leece-Neville / Prestolite is just a straight dumb regulator with no temp gradient protection for the alternator like the Valeo has. Generally they are very robust, despite lacking temp protection, but charging into a large bank can still cook them.

A possibility is that you got a Chinese clone of a Leece-Neville not a genuine Leece-Neville? If you want to fit one of the Leece-Neville 8MR series alternators it will be best installed with an external regulator to protect the alternator from overheating.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:37   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

We (Balmar) have an Altmount kit for that engine: 48-VSP-PR-A. I would suggest pairing it with the new XT170 alternator, mc-614 and of course the temp sensors.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:30   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
We (Balmar) have an Altmount kit for that engine: 48-VSP-PR-A. I would suggest pairing it with the new XT170 alternator, mc-614 and of course the temp sensors.

Chris

Good suggestion.. You can't really do much with the stock belt on that engine..
Old 12-07-2019, 04:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Good suggestion.. You can't really do much with the stock belt on that engine..
Thanks for these new replies. They are extremely helpful. I'd rather pass on the Prestolite as I installed one and it went on the blink after some 50-60 hrs. I will also check out the Balmar. I understand they are very rugged and dependable.

Cheers,
C
Old 12-07-2019, 06:38   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

I encourage you to reach out to our tech support team if you have any questions. Balmar | Marine Charging Systems | Battery Monitors | Multi-Stage Voltage Regulators | High Power Alternators | Serpentine Pulley Conversions for details and the phone #.

Chris

Quote:
Thanks for these new replies. They are extremely helpful. I'd rather pass on the Prestolite as I installed one and it went on the blink after some 50-60 hrs. I will also check out the Balmar. I understand they are very rugged and dependable.

Cheers,
C
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:07   #12
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:

Cheers,

C
Note that the the de-rating of the external VR is the critical component if you are pulling loads at high amps for many minutes, no matter the quality of the alt itself won't protect it.

The MC-614 is most commonly used, but there are others.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:29   #13
Cdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
I encourage you to reach out to our tech support team if you have any questions. Balmar | Marine Charging Systems | Battery Monitors | Multi-Stage Voltage Regulators | High Power Alternators | Serpentine Pulley Conversions for details and the phone #.

Chris
Hi Chris,

I am going to have a 4JH57 Yanmar and if I buy the dual alternator set up (Yanmar OEM parts), will the XT170 fit the same as the factory Valeo 125amp alternators? I was thinking de-rating the XT170 to 100amp which with dual alternators would give me 200amps. This would also allow me to carry a spare Valeo alternator incase one of the XT170 fails.

Let me know your thoughts.
Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, volvo