Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2013, 15:18   #16

Re: Honda 2.3 hp outboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Its the loadest outboard engine ever made.

Biggest piece of sheet Honda has ever made.

Try taking your dog for a poop at 7am without waking everyone in the harbor.
NOT HAPPINEN
No seagulls in your neck of the wood?
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 15:23   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I just tried searching for a Honda site that would allow me to ask a question regarding the EU2000 and the 2.3 HP engine. I can't find any sites that allow me to e-mail a question. Bummer!

Also, the price I paid for the EU2000 was less than $100 more than for the outboard. If I could get the same quality of sound I would pay that or even a bit more.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 17:22   #18

Boat: Seaward 22

have you looked at a suzuki 2.5? 30lbs and water cooled.
ohdrinkboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 17:44   #19

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
Last I looked a Honda 2HP outboard cost less than the EU2000.
Honda 2HP outboard and Honda EU2000 generator cost about the same
$865 price
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 18:45   #20

Boat: Gib sea 43

not in my neck of the woods they dont, the genny is twice the price of the outboard, also 2000w =2.6hp more likely a good bit more engine hp considering losses, oh yes they piss oil out all over the place very quickly if laid down on the wrong side, the only plus point is weight

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 18:58   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
not in my neck of the woods they dont, the genny is twice the price of the outboard, also 2000w =2.6hp more likely a good bit more engine hp considering losses, oh yes they piss oil out all over the place very quickly if laid down on the wrong side, the only plus point is weight
I never had the oil run out but I did have gas come out the top. Honda just sent me a new cap in the mail (got it when I was in the States).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 19:45   #22

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Under 30lbs its light enough for the wife to and my davits to handle. We cruised all around in the bahamas and only once i to a strong outgoing tide had trouble making headway but for the weight and reliability we love it. The fuel cap vent will allow water into the tank if its raining strong. It is too loud to have a conversation without talking almost at a yell. Otherwize great motor. The EU2000 has a big muffler, the bf2.3 does not that is why the genny is quieter.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 10:07   #23

Time Out! Take a step back and think about the Honda bf2.3 from an Engineering point of view. It was designed for simplicity! The fewer parts, the less to break. The motor has no gearing, spin it around for reverse. Centrifugal clutch = prop doesn't spin when at idle. Air cooled = no impeller to change. With internal fuel tank FULL, it weighs less than 40 lbs. All air cooled engines are louder and they may not be for everyone. If your someone that replaces your kicker every 3 or 4 years, buy something else with more features to cause problems. Being air cooled, you can run this motor out of the water. No fresh water rinse needed like water cooled outboards. Run it in the kelp bed, run it on a canoe in 1 ft of muddy water which would clog a water cooled outboard. If you have it on your sailboat in rough seas and the prop is "bobbing" out of the water, you have no concern about overheating the outboard like a water cooled outboard. If you keep it on a tender, there is no internal water tube to corrode. Again, its only 40 lbs so you can also just lift it off the transom with one hand.
Its not for everyone but its simple and reliable if you take basic care of it.
SolarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 12:17   #24
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

You can't run them out of the water, contrary to popular belief. The intermediate shaft bearing needs water for lubrication as does the exhaust for cooling.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 18:34   #25

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
You can't run them out of the water, contrary to popular belief. The intermediate shaft bearing needs water for lubrication as does the exhaust for cooling.
we've had 2. I rinse it out of the water and run the fuel out on the stand. Never had an issue over 6 years and 2 hondas. I did hear the very first year or two needed to be wet for exhaust , but design changes eliminated that need.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 22:07   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
It's interesting that you say that. A while back in a different boating forum, I heard someone else make that same claim. After reading that, I checked with the place that I got my bf 2.3 from (Monterey Bay Marine). The owner of the shop assured me that it is O.K. to run the motor out of water. I then, snuck around back and asked the mechanic the same question and he also assured me that it was O.K. to run it out of water. Since your comment, I have scowered my Honda owners manual and nothing says to not run the motor out of the water. I've owned my bf 2.3 for about 9 months now and store it off my boat in a shed in my back yard. Every week when I go to take the garbage cans out for garbage night, I start up the motor and run it. Most of the time that its on, its just idleing but I do rev it every time I walk by. Sometimes I shut off the fuel valve to run it out of gas, sometimes I do not. I generally run it for about 10 minutes. I have had zero problems with this motor.

BUT! I am really curios to find out what Honda recommends. Work will be hellish for the next few weeks so I won't be able to call Honda anytime soon.
SolarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 01:28   #27

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Had my first Honda 2Hp in 2001, broke a conrod when some other yachtie borrowed it in 2008. I only had trouble when I stored the engine flat (on its 'wrong' side, but either side seem to be wrong). Otherwise always started, never a problem.... except for....
- Some bolts under the cover are mild steel and prone to rusting
- The petrol cap too has some mild steel that rusts and drops s~~t into the tank.
- Carby leaks often if fuel is not shut off (and engine stored flat)

Over the last 3 years I have again a Honda 2HP, given to me as it was not working...... cleaned tank and carby...... never failed again.

I like it, and if buying new would consider the 2.3HP version or the Suzuki variety.
Old 23-12-2014, 04:29   #28
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

The original Honda 2hp was water cooled and very quiet, also had no centrifugal clutch so when it was running the prop was spinning.
When the newer air cooled Honda 2hp came out, a Honda dealer had one at the boat show running for hours on end out of the water. I can't say it's any louder than the 1983 Mariner 2 hp we now have.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 11:16   #29
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
a Honda dealer had one at the boat show running for hours on end out of the water.
Did anyone look at the intermediate shaft bearing afterwards?
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 12:50   #30

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
28 exclamation marks, guess you must be right then.
Sheesh! You counted? I think you got too much time on yer hands!
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, outboard