Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2023, 17:04   #16

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Honda 2.3 hp outboard dangerous starting

Thanks so much to Chuck and Hank and the others. The hand is not too sore and just a bit swollen. We'll replace the Honda 2.3 in the spring and muddle thru the next two weeks until haulout. Again, the Yamahas seem to be well liked here in our marina.

An electric may not work for us. When we cruise, we use the dinghy a lot to explore the quiet, near empty little coves and bays of Downeast Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Our little solar panel, we think, would not be that effective for charging so it would mean buying extra batteries and the electrics seem to be slower than the fuelers. But our float mate here at the marina has an electric car that they love. Gees, that thing can accelerate!

We finally had a really nice sunset here on Mount Desert Island, Maine tonight. It has been a slow year for sunsets. It seems to be either raining (for most of June and July) or too clear for evening colors.

But now it's September, a special time to savor those last few sails before the shrinkwrap, and remember how pleasant life can be on a smallish (31 feet) oldish (39 years) sailboat.

All of you, enjoy your times on the water. We're all so lucky to be out there.

Jenn and Terry
Northeast Harbor, Maine
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 18:14   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Hi Jen & Terry, good to hear you got your outboard replaced, and good on the retailer, as I doubt it came from Honda.
Not good that the new one started to show the same issue.

I also had a Honda, 2 HP purchased late nineties, used extensively and it showed such violent pull back of starter cord, about 1 in 10 starts. I found that before the first 'real' pull, I would gentry pull the cord turning the engine over, but not starting it. Then do a proper pull, virtually never had that problem anymore.
I’ve had a Honda 2.3 since 2018 and you are correct. The key is to pull the cord gently until you feel resistance, then pull briskly…normally only one pull is necessary. This starting procedure is called out in their owners manual as noted in the attached image. I wear a non-slip work glove because the handle is relatively small and old hands need a little help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0500.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	280533  
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 18:37   #18

Honda 2.3 (2023 model) update:

The hard starting is still an issue. Sometimes it starts on one quick pull, sometimes it's many short, quick pulls. My wife, who is stronger than I am, can't start is at all, possibly due to her left-handedness.

But another problem is that is won't usually start with the throttle in the start position. The throttle has to be slightly advanced, which engages the prop clutch and creates a hazard with a lunging dinghy at the crowded dinghy dock.

This motors has less than 10 hours of use. It's my 3rd 2.3 in 3 years (see above). Honda won't return my money, so I'll look for a trade-in for the Yamaha 2.5. It has a neutral/forward shifter for safer starting and a auto decompression for easier starting.

Now I have to find a dealer here in Maine .who will let my wife try to start the 2.5 before we purchase the motor. I'll miss the Honda's light weight but I can't recommend that motor to anyone.

Not everything works as well as we would like. If it did, we wouldn't need doctors.

Cheers to all and enjoy your boats.
Old 07-09-2023, 18:56   #19

Boat: Tartan 3800

I presently have been using a Suzuki DF2.5 and a (very old, 1960s) Johnson 3hp on my dinghy. The Suzuki, a single-cylinder 4-stroke machine, does occasionally exhibit some kickback when starting. The Johnson, a two-cylinder 2-stroke machine, does not.

Johnson and Evinrude 3hp motors were widely used on canoes and duck boats in the 1960s and 1970s. These are low-hours use cases. They are readily available used, locally, and in many other areas, and on ebay. Parts availability is good with the problem areas being the prop (but takeoffs from scrapped motors are available), the fuel cap gasket (but you can make one), and the fuel shutoff valve (they show up on ebay but are increasingly hard to find; it is possible but fiddly to substitute something else.

The Suzuki is a better motor in many ways. It has a gearshift (featuring not only forward but also neutral), burns half as much fuel, and has a tiller throttle. Vibration and starting behavior, however, are worse.
Old 07-09-2023, 19:11   #20

Thanks for the thoughts, Jammer.

I do like the idea of a real gear shift. Much safer design, IMHO. But starting safety, particularly without the ability to do a really hard, quick pull on the cord, is really important to us. We've heard no complaints about the Yamaha 2.5s in terms of safety with the starter cord. (no snapping back).

We're hoping to find a new or good used Yamaha here in Maine this week. Maybe we can trade in the almost new Honda.

Thanks again for the thoughts

Tags
danger, honda, outboard