Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2024, 18:04   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: How clean should a diesel tank be?

I think you hit the nail on the head. While most folks take notice of the fill line, the vent line, typically on the side of the hull, escapes notice and it's there that moisture, rain, wave splash, condensation, etc, can find it's way into the tank.
While filters like Racor will trap water in the fuel supply to the engine, it does not address any water inside the tank.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 21:12   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

When I designed my new tanks two years ago I went with a bottom feed. Any gunk or water immediately goes to the filter and never sits in the bottom of the tank.
Old 12-06-2024, 00:36   #18

Boat: Nauticat 43

My recommendation is to install your own fuel polishing system. As mentioned, this will help keep a clean tank clean. But, there is great value in running your polishing system when you go out with any kind of pitching or rolling or pounding of your boat, because that is when particles/dirt will come off the bottom or sides and can be filtered out. You won't be able to clean the bottom or sides well sitting at a dock unless you are using a very specialized professional system.

If you encounter rough seas with the tank as pictured, you should be prepared to replace fuel filters, both primary and secondary, en route.

Otherwise, diesel is an ecosystem. We add BioBor, which is a biocide, every other month (or else whenever we refill fuel) to kill whatever is growing in there and then, a day later, do fuel polishing for the calculated length of time (based on the gpm pump rate) for twice the tank volume.
Old 12-06-2024, 03:25   #19

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
When I designed my new tanks two years ago I went with a bottom feed. Any gunk or water immediately goes to the filter and never sits in the bottom of the tank.
As are mine however I took the opportunity to add a sedimenter to each fuel line prior to the primary filter, so far they have caught some asphaltenes and a small amount of water, filters are as clean as.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 05:15   #20

When I pulled my diesel and converted to electric propulsion in 2008 I had to empty diesel tank. I found a lot of grime left on the bottom and sides of the tank.
https://biankablog.blogspot.com/2011...-of-grime.html

I was able to easily clean the tank using a small hand held steam cleaner and some paper towels.

https://biankablog.blogspot.com/2011...ing-ahead.html
Old 12-06-2024, 05:17   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
A diesel tank should be spotless. NO water, NO gunk, NO suspended solids, NO foreign matter. That tank is filthy and your engine would likely stall in rough seas as that crap got mixed to the point it reached the intake line and clogged filters, or worse, injectors.

Seriously, your diesel tank should be cleaner than your potable water tank.

Have that tank professionally polished before you run the motor.

This.

That tank is in very poor condition. You're lucky if you haven't had fuel problems.

Get it professionally cleaned if you are not confident that you can do it yourself. That's diesel bug waiting to happen.

As the previous poster wrote -- the fuel tank should be immaculate, spotless.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 05:19   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And by the way, OP should check his tank filler o-rings. That is the most likely source of that contamination.

I've said it before, but I'm going to be a broken record today -- flush deck-level fuel tank fillers are from the devil. If you have one of these, be fanatical about o-ring condition, cap tightness, etc.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 12-06-2024, 06:27   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
As are mine however I took the opportunity to add a sedimenter to each fuel line prior to the primary filter, so far they have caught some asphaltenes and a small amount of water, filters are as clean as.
Got a photo of that ?
Old 12-06-2024, 07:35   #24

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

Many of you are making me feel better about my tank.

That said, there should be nothing in your fuel at all other than the red dye, if you are lucky. If you don't mind a bit of work, you can post on Craigslist or Facebook that you have free diesel for anyone with a pump and polisher who wants to drain your tank.

Rubbing alcohol (90%+) can be used to rinse and wash the inside of the tank. It picks up any water, and kills anything alive. You can then get out any remaining solids, and once it looks safe, refill with clean diesel. Change all the fuel filters. You may consider dumping the diesel from the return line from the engine for a gallon or so to be sure the critters are out. As someone else mentioned, check your filler cap and be sure it seals correctly.

Sounds like a lot of work until you compare it to the cost of rebuilding the fuel system of your diesel, and having to do the tank anyway.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 07:47   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
That of course has its advantages, but would not pass on a USCG inspected vessel, or on any new boat build.

I wouldn’t do it myself because of the risk of an uncontrolled spill. But it is your boat, and your risk assessment is different than mine. My tank is also set up so I can easily reach down to the deepest point with a hand pump to see what lives there.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 07:51   #26

Boat: Najad 331

Thanks everyone for the wisdom. I shall get that tank squeaky clean as soon as I can! (I'm in the Baltic sea btw, since someone was wondering)
efanost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 08:31   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
. . Sounds like a lot of work until you compare it to the cost of rebuilding the fuel system of your diesel, and having to do the tank anyway.

This.
Walt Whitman
Old 17-06-2024, 07:14   #28

North Coast Joe,
Your mention of a desiccant dryer on the vent line caught my attention. Please provide details. Thanks very much.
Tom G
SV Baloo
HR352
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 07:23   #29

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Be sure to disconnect the inlet side hose from the fuel filter assembly and force clean diesel through the inlet line. I used a large syringe, purchased at an animal
/farm supply store. Many boats have screens on the tank side of the inlet. A couple of minutes of bouncing in chop and the screen, even two inches above the floor of the tank, will pick up the now suspended "gunk". Vacuum guages are a good indicator, but you need to monitor them every time you fire up the motor and add the reason to your checklist. Far too few commercial fueling operations have a routine tank cleaning schedule, relying on filters in or just prior to the pump to solve any issues. Low volume operations are the worst, especially after they have just been refilled. So called Baja filters may slow the filling process, but will definitely keep tank cleaning to.a minimum.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 07:48   #30

Boat: Macgregor 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastJoe View Post
My tanks are cleaner than most people's cooking vessels. With inspection ports that I can climb through and really get inside. I would keep cleaning those until spotless.
Be very careful about putting your head in an empty fuel tank.
I know of two professional yacht crew who have died from asphyxiation after getting into a fuel tank.
cascade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel