Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 05:59   #1

Boat: C&C 30
How do I buy an outboard?

My friend and I just purchased a 1981 C&C 30 in great shape except for a known transmission problem (Yanmar diesel-the engine itself is in great shape). We got it from a non-profit boat club so they didn't know what the exact problem would be. Our mechanic has now said that the transmission is damaged beyond repair and supposedly is having a hard time finding a rebuilt core to replace our core-currently he is talking to the Yanmar company who is searching their warehouse for a replacement part. We have decided to go with an outboard so we can have a decent sailing season and will work on the inboard issue along the way.

My question is-should I be shopping around mechanics to see if someone else can fix this or does what my mechanic telling me sound reasonable? My sailing friends around here don't have any experience with transmission problems so I'm at the mercy of whatever the mechanic says.
Vyvian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:09   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: How do I buy an outboard?

Welcome to CF. It's difficult to answer your question when we have little information as to where you are and which Yanmar dealer you're working with. If you're in Toronto I might be able to recommend an experienced and competent Yanmar mechanic. Also you might get the make,model and serial number of the transmission and check availability on the web.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:19   #3

Thanks Vasco. You are right-I do need more information. I should probably say that this is my first sailboat and I don't have a ton of sailing experience or knowledge either! My title doesn't match my post I now see, too. My boat is near Annapolis (Arnold) for now although we'll eventually bring it up to Baltimore where I live.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:23   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

There's a plate on the transmission that will give you what you need for identifying it. You should then check these folks out for a replacement.
Sailboat Supplies, Engine Parts and Boat Parts
Old 06-06-2011, 06:27   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

You can PM our own Chief Engineer and he might be able to assist you.

He is the mechanic I use.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:51   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I would keep shopping around for another gearbox or take it to someone else for a second opinion especially if the engine is good.

An outboard on the stern of a 30ft yacht isn't good. Spending a few dollars on a gearbox either replacement or rebuild would be a much better solution.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:10   #7

Boat: rhodes,seafarer,28

I agree with Pete7. An outboard on a boat that size is aquward at best.Your steering in reverse will be next to nonexistant and if you don't have full controls including electric starting,someone will need to hang over the transome to operate the outboard while someone else runs the boat and shouts comands. Do you have a dinghy? If so you could tie the dinghy to your quarter and manuver the boat,then tow the tender while sailing.That's where an outboard should be.
capt.bobfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:05   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco
Welcome to CF. It's difficult to answer your question when we have little information as to where you are and which Yanmar dealer you're working with. If you're in Toronto I might be able to recommend an experienced and competent Yanmar mechanic. Also you might get the make,model and serial number of the transmission and check availability on the web.
Welcome to the forum.

You'll find that you get far better information on this forum if you give better information to begin with. Starting with the model of your engine and tranny. Chances are, someone on this forum has one of those transmissions in his back pocket.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:14   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

welcome--and what bash sed.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:16   #10

Congrats on the new boat. I really like C&C 30's. An added problem with an outboard on that boat is that its design will tend to lift the outboard's prop out of the water over every wave. If you do decide to do an outboard, get one with a long shaft and set it deep. Installing an outboard mount on your transom is a project in itself.

Where are you? If you're on the East Coast of the US, Mack Boring is the long time Yanmar distributor and very helpful to boat owners. I would give them a call.

Small Yanmar transmissions are very simple and very repairable. I'd ask a few boat owners at the marina whether they've had good experiences with the mechanic. If he has at least an "OK" reputation then I'd impress on him you really want to go sailing in your new boat as soon as possible. Bring donuts and a smile.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:20   #11

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum and enjoy the site...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:32   #12

Thanks so much everyone! Here is some additional information:

Yanmar 2GM diesel engine (unknown year)
Kanzaki transmission model KM2A; Serial #3409
Located in Arnold, MD (near Annapolis although I live in Baltimore and we want to get the boat up here eventually)

Our mechanic does seem reputable from some comments from other people, but I'm going to start calling around to other places-perhaps someone else has more expertise in this brand or with this problem.

My co-owner and I have basically agreed to scrap the outboard idea for as others have mentioned here and what we have found is that it's not a great fix by any means.

Any thoughts on retrofitting a different transmission? Our mechanic mentioned that as a possibility with an slightly higher cost because of the additional labor.

Tags
outboard