Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2024, 07:47   #46

Boat: FP Mahe 36
Re: How many hours can an engine last ?

We had 11,000 hours on our VP D1-20s when we converted to solar/ electric propulsion.
IrieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 08:16   #47

I think the engine/saildrive should be considered near it's end. Isn't much of the saildrive aluminum? The right engine could go another 6000 hours though if it isn't one of the lightweight designs. It's hard to say what's a Volvo or just something relabeled as such without the model number. The sail drive; if going long distance cruising I would consider getting a whole new unit.
Depends a bit on which Volvo it is though. The old school design very heavy ones are workhorses, albeit notoriously expensive parts. Not often found in sailboats though I think unless it's a big boat?.
I would say different with an old school Lehman or Perkins shaft drive.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 08:36   #48

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

2000hrs is the equivalent of 100,000km if the engine was running in a truck. So a lightweight tubo diesel is probably close to the end of its life at 6000hrs. However an older heavyweight normally aspirated unit could be only about 1/2 way, in truck it is not uncommon for this type of engine to do well over 500,000
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 08:37   #49

Boat: Defever 49 RPH

The number of hours are important but the other question is parts availability. I know people that have good running engines with 1000’s of hours but there are items on the engine which are almost impossible to locate. Some Cats and Volvo engine parts are hard to locate and if you are not doing the work yourself techs can also be an issue. As for engine replacement with sail drive I would think over $20,000. after my last repower which ran $32,000. in a 44 CSY.
dream ketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 08:44   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
2000hrs is the equivalent of 100,000km if the engine was running in a truck. So a lightweight tubo diesel is probably close to the end of its life at 6000hrs. However an older heavyweight normally aspirated unit could be only about 1/2 way, in truck it is not uncommon for this type of engine to do well over 500,000

Well maintained truck diesels with super filters as I noted in my previous post have been sent in for rebuilding at 300 to 500 thousand miles and found to have negligible wear. These guys don’t even change oil with centrifugal cleaners and fuel polishers.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 10:09   #51

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47

Simply being a Volvo engine is a negative, based on our experience of two Volvos.
Many failures, expensive parts and lousy parts service.
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 10:20   #52

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

Lots of great replies here and I’ll add to the pile.

I just re-powered and replaced a 40yo Perkins with a Beta. I’m not going to jump up and down about how amazing Beta is as I think any reputable engine manufacturer would have worked for me now that I’m somewhat educated in the process.

Here’s the deal it’s not so much about whether the core of your motor is sound it’s more about all the peripheral items bolted to it. That’s the primary issue with marine engines exposed to a salty environment stuff just deteriorates.

So if can you find a couple of sources for every item associated with that motor and drive package keep it and plan on rebuilding.

The Perkins got the boot due to peripheral parts availability and it was old tech that will continue to leak after a rebuild. It would have been considerably cheaper to rebuild the Perkins provided I could get those hard to find items like exhaust manifolds so if there are plenty of parts out there for your motor rebuild it.

Also I’ve come to terms with the motor being another item that has a lifespan on a sailboat. Like others have stated that lifespan is variable depending on how you use the boat. My repower costs about the same as my re-rig which included painting the mast. I did all the labor on the repower but if I had to do it again I’d pay someone else..
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 11:14   #53

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

I lost both my VP 55s in under 2000 hours. Never ran them over 2100 rpm. When I went to replace the 1st one was told they don’t manufacture anymore so had to go with a 50hp. Something to do with emissions they said, bud given I lost both I’m wondering if not a manufacturing issue.
VeinDocFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 11:30   #54

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeinDocFL View Post
I lost both my VP 55s in under 2000 hours. Never ran them over 2100 rpm. When I went to replace the 1st one was told they don’t manufacture anymore so had to go with a 50hp. Something to do with emissions they said, bud given I lost both I’m wondering if not a manufacturing issue.
Why did you never run them over 2100 rpm? Diesels like load, they like running at high rpm from time to time. Due to the prop power curve 2100 rpm is like <30% of peak power.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 11:54   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
Why did you never run them over 2100 rpm? Diesels like load, they like running at high rpm from time to time. Due to the prop power curve 2100 rpm is like <30% of peak power.
This depends entirely on the engine. We run a 6-cylinder Westerbeke, 115 HP. It’s a tractor engine, repurposed British Leyland. It runs 700 to 900 RPM and there is a 2:1 reduction- Aquadrive CV coupling and a Hundested infinitely variable pitch transmission & 3-blade 24 inch prop with huge bite. It’s both silent and vibration free on hydraulic motor mounts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5296.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	291178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5295.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	291179  

Name:	IMG_5294.jpg
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	291180   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3862.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	291181  

Name:	IMG_4227.jpg
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	291182  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 13:02   #56

Boat: Cal-40

I have a fishing boat in Alaska with an Isuzu C-240 60 hp engine with 30,600 original hours. I’ve changed the injection pump, injectors, timing gears and normal stuff like starters and alternators. Oil 15/40 weight is changed every 150 hours and I don’t run the RPMs over 1750. Engine runs great with almost zero oil consumption. Just like a car it’s not so important on how many miles but rather what kind of miles. Don’t idle your engine excessively while not under load, change oil often, run engine RPMs to the point of full engine temperature but don’t push it too much. Your Diesel engine is an amazing collection of many small machines that work together in union becoming as one. If you take care of it it shall without doubt take care of you. Myself I would be very disappointed with a diesel that didn’t give me at least 15-20 thousand hours before major overhaul with normal use.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 13:54   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Good Low speed diesels definitely go over 10,000 hrs

Volvo isn’t one of them

I consider both the engine and saildrive at rebuild age - and the way Volvo parts are priced, a new one is likely the way to go.
- Can’t just do engine internals - turbo, cooling manifold, exhaust elbow, are all candidates too.

Either lower the price by the cost of replacement, or find another boat with lower hours
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 14:48   #58

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
Sorry, I meant to say for an extended period of time. To stretch my fuel cruising on my 44’ cat I’ll run one engine at a time around 1800-2000 rpm. Gives me close to five knots on smooth seas at around one gallon burn per hour.
VeinDocFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 15:10   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post

You have not been able to buy a heavy truck engine without a turbo in probably 40 years. They don't exist.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 15:40   #60

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeinDocFL View Post
Sorry, I meant to say for an extended period of time. To stretch my fuel cruising on my 44’ cat I’ll run one engine at a time around 1800-2000 rpm. Gives me close to five knots on smooth seas at around one gallon burn per hour.
Ah gotcha. Yeah the more people talk about Volvo's my already low impression of them hasn't improved. Yanmar aren't fancy but they do just work. Stock mixing elbow sucks but HDI makes good alternative.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine