Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2023, 14:13   #1

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
How reliable are Tohatsu propane outboards?

MY new to me boat has a Tohatsu propane outboard. It is relatively new, but has failed to start on more than one occasion. Is maintenance in order, or shud i dump it and get another?
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2023, 15:30   #2

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57
Re: How reliable are Tohatsu propane outboards?

It's unfortunate. So far, the propane outboards I've seen have not had good reliability, and service is a challenge to find. Lehr, we had 2, the first being warranty, the second wasn't better. I'd hope tohatsu does better as the parent company makes forklifts.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2023, 18:05   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

We have a 5 HP Tohatsu propane engine. Getting it to start after layup takes a bit of time for the gas to work its way to the carburetor. Once it fires, we've had little problem with it.
michaeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2023, 20:02   #4

There is nothing different about a gasoline engine or a propane one except the carburetor.

There is no reason an engine running on propane would be significantly more or less reliable than the same engine running on gasoline. The carburetors are different, but if anything the propane one is likely to be less trouble without trouble from dirt or varnish.

For an outboard, I have never quite understood the advantages of propane. It is certainly, for most people, a lot less convenient, and a lot bulkier per energy unit. But if you have it, a new outboard is expensive. I'd get the propane one fixed.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 23:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
There is nothing different about a gasoline engine or a propane one except the carburetor.

There is no reason an engine running on propane would be significantly more or less reliable than the same engine running on gasoline. The carburetors are different, but if anything the propane one is likely to be less trouble without trouble from dirt or varnish.

For an outboard, I have never quite understood the advantages of propane. It is certainly, for most people, a lot less convenient, and a lot bulkier per energy unit. But if you have it, a new outboard is expensive. I'd get the propane one fixed.
propane has a lot of advantages over gasoline in a marine outboard. First of all, a common cause of hard starts is old gas. Propane doesn't age and won't gunk up plugs. Also, spill one tablespoon of gasoline into your harbor and Harbor Patrol will write you up for $1000. Avalon notorious for this. Put another way, politicians generally want to see the end of the internal combustion engine. Not saying that's good or bad, but it's happening. Main thing for me is gasoline on a boat is akin to a bomb on a boat. Faulty fuel line, connector, and gasoline as a liquid wants to find its way to the bilge. Then boom goes the dynamite. Gasoline is essentially more volatile. I say all this a one of the unfortunate Lehr owners. Those things were junk and unsupported. Hopefully Tohatsu figured it out.
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 13:03   #6

Boat: '86 Catalina 25, swing keel

In case anyone comes here looking for answers…. I’ve had my Tohatsu 5hp propane sailpro for a few years. No concerns yet but I have heard that sometimes propane can have an oily mix to it. To check your tank get an adaptor for a 1 gallon camp tank and use a new tank off the shelf. If it runs with that then bleed off your bigger tank and get fresh propane.
Captain Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard, propane