Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2018, 00:13   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: How to add engine alarms

I fitted one of these a few years ago to my Volvo exhaust.. Wet Exhaust Temperature Alarm by Borel Manufacturing Inc.

Fitted the alarm just inside the companionway so can be heard in and out.
Old 20-02-2018, 01:56   #17

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I may have already found the solution. While I was outside looking at my new/old engine, I went through a box of goodies that was included. Lo and behold there is an extra control panel that apparently did indeed come with some versions of the MD7A. It has an "alarm block" wired in (per the manuals, as stated by a previous poster) that is connected to a buzzer and has indicator lights for oil, temp, and amp. Eureka !

Its a slightly different size than my current panel but that is easy enough to deal with. And with the wiring diagrams I have I should be able to get it hooked up properly. So we may be good to go !

One I noticed first off is there is a one wire connection coming off the panel for the oil pressure, but the connection on the engine has two terminals. I'm assuming one is ground, but which one ? Does it matter ?
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 03:40   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Yep, also known as "exhaust gas temperature" (EGT) monitor or "pyrometer". Trucks use them, too. Other good alarms to have are related, like one that tells you if the water circuit is failed or failing, which relies on a flow measurement.
Not the same thing! Exhaust SYSTEM temp and exhaust GAS temp are completely different issues. You can be burning down your exhaust system due to lack of water injection and still have perfectly normal EGT as measured at the manifold.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 03:41   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Alarming thread.
Now In need to check if my temp alarm measures coolant or exhaust.
Thank you
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 06:30   #20

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

[One I noticed first off is there is a one wire connection coming off the panel for the oil pressure, but the connection on the engine has two terminals. I'm assuming one is ground, but which one ? Does it matter ?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it matters. The second terminal is for the alarm. The sensor switches to ground through the body when low pressure. Ditto with the temp sensor if it is the combo sensor. You can tell which is which with a VOM/multimeter. One terminal has a larger lug.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 07:00   #21

Boat: PDQ 44i

I have been very pleased with the engine temperature and bilge water alarms I got from www. borelmfg.com. They were pretty easy to install and look nice. As far as I can tell, they work well, too.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 10:13   #22

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
[One I noticed first off is there is a one wire connection coming off the panel for the oil pressure, but the connection on the engine has two terminals. I'm assuming one is ground, but which one ? Does it matter ?
Yes, it matters. The second terminal is for the alarm. The sensor switches to ground through the body when low pressure. Ditto with the temp sensor if it is the combo sensor. You can tell which is which with a VOM/multimeter. One terminal has a larger lug.[/QUOTE]

Awesome thanks ! I'll go take a closer look.
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 14:51   #23

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

I’m giving some thought to using this multiple input voice annunciator: https://www.elkproducts.com/product-...e-voice-module
It would solve the problem of figuring out what is alarming.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, engine