Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2016, 02:25   #31

Problem Solved - Diesel Working Again : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
Can somebody walk me through the procedure of bleeding the air from the fuel line of my Yanmar GM 30 F diesel?

All help truly appreciated.

Thanks folks,

G2L
Folks,

Want to thank all once again for your help. The issue turned out to be air in the line, as most of you suspected.

I got a guy from the local diesel calibration shop to come out and take a look. Talked over what I have learned from you guys and my Yanmar manual with him first, to make sure he knew at least as much as me, and he showed some definite expertise, so we went from there.

Turns out that the new fuel filter we added, which we placed on the line a foot or so before the new, electric pump was working fine. The function of the hand pump at the top of the newly installed fuel filter, and the nipple at the bottom, are not, as I thought, used to "pump air" or water out of the line or out of the filter.

Rather, the pump on top of the new fuel filter, serves very much like the outboard-type, squeeze pump that Boatman61 uses when bleeding his fuel line.

The hand pump above my new, inline fuel filter, simply pumps fuel further down the line to the mechanical pump and stock fuel filter on the exhaust side of my engine.

The mechanic and I bled the line using the hex-shaped screw at the top of the stock, mechanical, "fuel feeder pump". Then, we bled the line at the fuel injector pump (located at the forward end of the engine), using the four sided screw designed for that purpose. Turns out that the source of the problem was a hose clamp on the newly installed, electric fuel pump, which was not tightened enough. A miniscule amount of fuel was leaking out of the line, but, apparently, enough air was being sucked in, to cause an "air lock" in the line. We gooped up the connection with marine quality sealant, then re-tightened the hose clamp, and the engine started with no problems. Replacing a worn belt, made it purr even more nicely.

The whole process took less than an hour, and I paid the guy about 5x as much as it would have cost me, if I had pulled a diesel truck up to his shop and had it done there. Still, the price was incredibly reasonable at a mere 20 bucks.

Also, I learned, "hands on" everything that would be too tedious to explain on a thread like this, and due to his and your help, next time around, I am sure I will be able to handle the job myself.

Hope if some other newbie reads this thread some day, the process may appear even a bit clearer.

Thanks to all,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar, fuel