Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2018, 14:39   #1

How to clean fuel jugs?

While cruising I try to do all my diesel fueling by 5-gallon jugs so that I can use my Baha filter at deck level. For only about 100 gals per year this is not too difficult.
After emptying a jug into the boat today I happened to look into the jug. Not very pretty! The bottom had a coating of multiple slimes, with some water droplets evident.

How can I clean that grossness out of the bottom of the jug, hopefully using something I have on board? A rinse with gasoline? Acetone?

Thanks for any advice...it seems a shame, when I can get clean diesel, to expose it to slime in the jugs.
Cap Bill Des is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 15:40   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: How to clean fuel jugs?

Capt Bill Des,

Well, I would use tri-sodium phosphate (TSP) powder, and boiling water. Pour it in and agitate it vigorously. Rinse with more hot water. Check it for slime and junk. Repeat if necessary. Once it is clean, and has air dried, add diesel and an appropriate biocide. And use it in your tanks. You would be wise to buy a whole bunch of fuel filters in advance, because if you haven't used the biocide before, there will be a bacterial slime die-off in the tanks, which can come up and clog your fuel filters, causing the engine to stop running.

You might also want to hire a "fuel polishing service" to clean your fuel. However, you may want to consider cleaning the tank one way or another. There are products that are reported to do this. A CF member called Rustic Charm posted before and after pictures of a tank he treated, that came out really well, you might use the CF Custom Google to find the thread....it's roughly 3 years old, now...iirc.

I would not use acetone, as there are many plastics it attacks, and gasoline will leave a residue.

Ann
Old 21-02-2018, 16:27   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I put a bit of gasoline in and shake vigorously, then pour the gasoline into sand and burn it off.
Old 25-02-2018, 08:52   #4

Rick- I did not see your reply before I went ahead and picked up some TSP at a convenient paint store.

Ann- The TSP worked great! Cleaned the slimely stuff very nicely. Strange thing was I got ready to clean my other diesel jug and it was much, much, cleaner! A puzzle, but I gave it the same treatment.

I'm not ready to put TSP in my main fuel tank. I'm not loaded with filters. I have always used diesel treatments, was using Sea Foam, now something else. Always use the Baha for what goes in the tank. (The jugs get filled without the Baha, maybe that explains jug slime?)

I feel good about this progress, thanks! Onto the next item on my todo list!
Cap Bill Des is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 11:07   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Do not put TSP in your fuel tank for the boat if there is fuel in it--it will ruin the fuel. The boat tank would have to be open enough for you to clean everywhere, and then thoroughly rinse it out again, leaving no residue.

There are fuel additives, some of which seem to work well--Rustic Charm used one and posted before and after pictures a couple of years back. We've not used anything except biocide to keep the fuel clean, and so far, it has done a good job. However, once there is bacterial sludge, the tanks require professional cleaning, and the fuel to be filtered before going back in the tank--and then you add biocide, and continue treating with each fuel addition.

Ann
Old 25-02-2018, 11:49   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Bill-
SeaFoam isn't magic. It is basically light oil, plus water (to superheat into steam so it cleans cylinders, piston heads, and valves) and isopropyl alcohol. I knew an old mechanic who used to pour yesterday's coffee into engines to clean them the same way. (Hey, steam is steam.)
You can also clean things like fuel jugs by draining out whatever you can, then adding coarse salt. Rock salt or koshering salt. Add some cold water (the coarse salt does not dissolve on contact) and tumble or swirl the container. The salt is abrasive and scrubs the crud loose. Then pour it out, water rinse to remove any trace salt, air dry and you're done. No need for added chemicals.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 21:29   #7

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you put a biocide in the fuel cans it will keep them clean, just like it does fuel tanks.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 17:32   #8

Hi
I just put a capful (3-5cc) of isopropyl alcohol in my 10l containers each time I fill them. Never see free water or sediment in them or my Racor primary filter.
If I fill up at a bowser I dont bother adding anything as I think the IPA going in with the jerrys is probably ample.
Cheers Tom
Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel