Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2022, 02:43   #16

Re: How to clean stainless steel elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLAR SUPPORT View Post
You must remove the heat exchanger copper tube bundle from the chamber it is in. If you leave it in vinegar for 12-16 hours, the calcium in the pipes will dissolve.
Sorry my bad. I don't mean that bit, I mean where there elbow connects too (not the exhaust pipe tubing but rather where it connects into the heat exchanger). That has a lot of carbon build up too and when I feel inside it feels like it may be clogged.
GavDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 11:17   #17

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

We think it would be a good investment to hire a very good diesel mechanic at this point. It’s too complicated to do online.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 17:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
We think it would be a good investment to hire a very good diesel mechanic at this point. It’s too complicated to do online.

Mark

I agree with the Manatees
The “pinhole in the injector pump” pretty much delineates the complexity. You need professional help.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 18:34   #19

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLAR SUPPORT View Post
You must remove the heat exchanger copper tube bundle from the chamber it is in. If you leave it in vinegar for 12-16 hours, the calcium in the pipes will dissolve.
Ahh, no, exhaust gasses don't get to the tube bundle.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2022, 13:29   #20

Boat: Ranger Tug R21EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavDog View Post
Sorry my bad. I don't mean that bit, I mean where there elbow connects too (not the exhaust pipe tubing but rather where it connects into the heat exchanger). That has a lot of carbon build up too and when I feel inside it feels like it may be clogged.
If I understand this correctly you are referring to where it connects to the discharge side end cap on the heat exchanger. With the exhaust elbow off, I would certainly take off the end cap for a look inside. It's just 3 bolts. The cap is a snug fit because there is an o-ring in the cap.

If this is the location you are talking about, there should not be any carbon build-up in there but it could be a build-up of calcium from salt water seeping back past the o-ring in the cap. I had this happen on my 2014 D1-30 and the build-up actually corroded the casting at this location. Fortunately for me it did not corrode through the casting which would result in raw water going into the engine. There is a second o-ring at the casting and tube bundle. I was able to do a repair on the casting with Marine Tex I believe it was called. I attached a couple of photos just to give you an idea of what I had. Note that I have a bronze cast exhaust elbow on mine. I have 2680 hrs and have had the elbow off and tube bundle out twice in that time frame. Only minor soot build-up in the elbow, tube bundle was clean in the tubes with a little crud on the outside. I dunked both in a muriatic acid bath for a short time and then good fresh water flush.

If this has noting to do with the area in the post I quoted above, I apologize in advance. I have several photos of where I pulled and cleaned the elbow and tube bundle so if they are of any use to you just reply to me at marcelis@telus.net and I will send them to you.

Newf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4450.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	263189   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4436.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	263190  

Newf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 15:52   #21

OK so in the end the best seemed to be hydroclauric(muriatic) acid and also caustic soda. Cheers for the help everyone
GavDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elbow, stainless steel, steel