Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2018, 08:50   #16

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462
Re: How to determine number of hours on diesel engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Kitchens View Post
When I purchased my boat it didn't have an hour meter so I flew in the engine whisperer Volvo keeps on staff in Germany. He placed his hand on the engine block and not even a second after he touched it he jumped back quickly. His face turned white and he told me I needed a new engine immediately. Luckily, Volvo was there for me and I had a brand new engine and gear box installed within a week. I have to say it was worth it; I haven't had an engine problem yet. PM me I'll get you in contact with him.
The guy must have been a great actor for Volvo.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 10:42   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I personally like this style of an Hobbs meter
https://www.aircraftspruce.eu/hobbs-...eter-85094.htm

But really there is an endless variety of hour meters available and mainly it is a personal choice.

I prefer to wire it so the 12+ve come from the engine ON switch and the 12-ve comes via a oil pressure switch however you may need to confirm if your existing oil pressure switch is suitable (hint - most likely it won't be ). You can add a relay if the existing oil pressure switch isn't suitable rather to hunt down a suitable switch.

However many (most?) don't worry about using the oil pressure switch in the Hobbs meter circuit. The minor downside is the hour meter is ticking over anytime the engine ON switch is on even though the engine might not be running.
A damned good suggestion, using the oil pressure switch for the ground to the meter.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 11:03   #18

Boat: Outremer 50S

I only have the manual for the 'B' series engines and onward, but if the original -75 is the same then the oil pressure switch is two-wire with +12V fed to the switch. Even stupider, it is closed on alarm, open on good oil pressure - ask me how I know, you can disconnect the cable to get rid of an alarm

Quote:
The oil pressure in the engine is monitored by a pressure switch. The output signal from the pressure switch can have two distinct positions, high/low, in the same way as a relay output. A pre-set limit value determines when the switch switches from one distinct position to the other one. The switch is closed when the oil pressure is low and when the engine is off. [emphasis added]
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 11:22   #19

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Here is where to order the hour meter LCD replacement part and a video on how o replace it. Worked great for me. Was able to find out our 1995 engine is only 2000 hours past its rebuild!

http://www.boatstuff.se

https://youtu.be/PFkSwD5-mfw
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 12:17   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cheap oil pressure activated units are easily available. I installed one when the one on my $700 replacement dash board crapped out. I just have to add the two readouts to get the total. If you don't want to do the math you would have leave it connected to a 12VDC source for the number of hours you think it has before installing the gauge in your boat.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 14:29   #21

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

It seems like engine hours has now days gone to equal hours the key is turned on?
For many years I was used to having engine hours being at certain revs.
The Fordson tractor was one engine hour with 1 hour at 1200 rpm.
If it was left idling at 600rpm it took 2 hours to record one hour.
Similar with Caterpillar tractors/bulldozers.
I knew a contractor who charged on engine hours & left the motor running while sitting under a shady tree eating lunch. (Being paid for his lunch?!)
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 14:46   #22

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflguy View Post
We bought an 2006 Elan 434 this spring. The digital hour meter no longer works.
My objective is to install an analog hour meter in the engine compartment and reset the meter to reflect the the number of hours currently on the engine.
Any suggestions as to choosing an hour meter, installation and how to determine the number of hours currently on the engine is appreciated.
The engine is a Volvo-Penta D75 saildrive.
Thank you!
If I understand? There is no way to figure out how many hours where lost. Why not put the new meter in at zero and keep the old reading in a log book.
History is history, you're needing the meter for the future maintenance.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 16:10   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
How to determine number of hours on diesel engine

First problem.
How are you going to “preset” the hour meter? A large point of an hour meter is that it’s not adjustable. I’ve never seen one that was.

Secondly, there is no way at all to determine number of hours on an engine, and it’s irrelevant too, just like miles on a car is.
There are only three things important to an engine, condition, condition, condition.
Even on aircraft where there is a TBO for engines, there is NO evidence that changing an engine based on number of hours prevents engine failures as opposed to condition.

I know that will have people calling BS, but look it up.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 16:15   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

While I do agree that the number of hours isn't very significant, you can get a reasonable estimate of worst case usage if you use 100 hours per year as a guess. Unless the boat was in charter or was in long term cruising usage, it is quite unlikely to have had more than this many hours on it.

Jim
Old 25-10-2018, 17:03   #25

Boat: Tartan30

Keeping track of the "hours" on a diesel engine is good for scheduling preventative maintenance, but to really understand the internal condition of the engine based on wear, one should obtain an oil sample and have it tested at a lab. The main bearings are main of a material that exposes different colors as they wear down. The Oil Analysis can very precisely tell how much use the engine has endured. The whole trucking industry relies on this method. I would not purchase any boat of substantial value without an oil analysis regardless of what the hour meter reads.
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 17:08   #26

Boat: Seafarer36c

Some engines do have life limited parts. Thankfully there are none of those in a boat engine.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 17:11   #27

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
However many (most?) don't worry about using the oil pressure switch in the Hobbs meter circuit. The minor downside is the hour meter is ticking over anytime the engine ON switch is on even though the engine might not be running.
On switch is on and there is an ear piercing horn on ours and something less offensive on most forcing us to either start the engine or turn the switch off.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 17:26   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydaum View Post
The Oil Analysis can very precisely tell how much use the engine has endured. The whole trucking industry relies on this method. I would not purchase any boat of substantial value without an oil analysis regardless of what the hour meter reads.

I hear this kind of thing all of the time, and wish it were true, but it’s not.
I tracked fleets of vehicles and aircraft for 20 yrs with oil analysis, and it’s not worth squat for determining condition of an oil lubricated component.
It is excellent for determining if oil is fuel diluted, or simply worn out, or loaded with soot, or even if it has been contaminated with antifreeze.
In short oil analysis is an excellent tool for determining the condition of the oil, but not for the component.
It has saved the Army no telling how much money by changing trucks oil when it needs it as opposed to a calendar interval, many of the Army’s trucks do a lot of sitting.

Don’t believe me, call Blackstone or other good lab and ask direct questions.

In particular it’s worthless to determine the condition of an engine your looking at purchasing, unless maybe there are several years of historical analyses to compare against, if you have that, and a certain metal is elevated, then maybe, but without a well established baseline you don’t have anything at all.
Old 25-10-2018, 17:28   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Now properly cutting open an oil filter and inspecting that can tell you quite a lot, assuming of course it wasn’t installed yesterday
Old 25-10-2018, 18:00   #30

Boat: Seafarer36c

I think the Dowsing thing the Volvo guru did should be made easy to understand by everybody. How cool was that?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine