Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2018, 17:52   #1

Boat: Elan, 434 Impression, 43
How to determine number of hours on diesel engine

We bought an 2006 Elan 434 this spring. The digital hour meter no longer works.
My objective is to install an analog hour meter in the engine compartment and reset the meter to reflect the the number of hours currently on the engine.
Any suggestions as to choosing an hour meter, installation and how to determine the number of hours currently on the engine is appreciated.
The engine is a Volvo-Penta D75 saildrive.
Thank you!
swflguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 18:12   #2

Boat: Catalina 34MKII
Re: How to determine number of hours on diesel engine

This should be interesting! Was there any paperwork with the boat? Logbook, service receipts anything to develop an average yearly hour to work with?
Old 24-10-2018, 18:12   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflguy View Post
Any suggestions as to choosing an hour meter, installation and how to determine the number of hours currently on the engine is appreciated.
The engine is a Volvo-Penta D75 saildrive.
Thank you!
I personally like this style of an Hobbs meter
https://www.aircraftspruce.eu/hobbs-...eter-85094.htm

But really there is an endless variety of hour meters available and mainly it is a personal choice.

I prefer to wire it so the 12+ve come from the engine ON switch and the 12-ve comes via a oil pressure switch however you may need to confirm if your existing oil pressure switch is suitable (hint - most likely it won't be ). You can add a relay if the existing oil pressure switch isn't suitable rather to hunt down a suitable switch.

However many (most?) don't worry about using the oil pressure switch in the Hobbs meter circuit. The minor downside is the hour meter is ticking over anytime the engine ON switch is on even though the engine might not be running.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 19:15   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

If you have no idea of the total time on an engine that runs well, you start with about 1/3 of it's TBO. That could be way off for sure but you need to start somewhere. So if you disregard all the BS about engines lasting 14,000 hrs and go with the average TBO of about 4,000 hrs, you are at about 1300 hrs.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 20:05   #5

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter

When I purchased my boat it didn't have an hour meter so I flew in the engine whisperer Volvo keeps on staff in Germany. He placed his hand on the engine block and not even a second after he touched it he jumped back quickly. His face turned white and he told me I needed a new engine immediately. Luckily, Volvo was there for me and I had a brand new engine and gear box installed within a week. I have to say it was worth it; I haven't had an engine problem yet. PM me I'll get you in contact with him.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 20:49   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Kitchens View Post
When I purchased my boat it didn't have an hour meter so I flew in the engine whisperer Volvo keeps on staff in Germany. He placed his hand on the engine block and not even a second after he touched it he jumped back quickly. His face turned white and he told me I needed a new engine immediately. Luckily, Volvo was there for me and I had a brand new engine and gear box installed within a week. I have to say it was worth it; I haven't had an engine problem yet. PM me I'll get you in contact with him.
At least you saved the cost of buying a separate aftermarket hour meter.😅
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 21:38   #7

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

If you do a search for Volvo hour meter repair, you’ll find various references to dismantling the dial and cleaning the ribbon contacts leading to the lcd display. This can often recover the display, at least long enough for you to read off the value. Apparently, the hours keep recording even though they don’t display. This will allow you to set the new hour meter correctly when you replace it.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 23:23   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
If you do a search for Volvo hour meter repair, you’ll find various references to dismantling the dial and cleaning the ribbon contacts leading to the lcd display. This can often recover the display, at least long enough for you to read off the value. Apparently, the hours keep recording even though they don’t display. This will allow you to set the new hour meter correctly when you replace it.

Now that's VERY useful information!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 23:46   #9

Boat: Outremer 50S

Is the engine original? At 2006 you're right at the edge of Volvo's MDI installations. If the actual model number ends in 'B' or higher then it should have the MDI. In which case Volvo would be happy to sell you a Bluetooth interface for your engine which would allow you to read the hours even if the display is not working (and maybe even save you the installation of a meter). If the engine is an 'A' or not lettered then it is too old for this option.

If it is of interest check out Volvo EasyConnect (not affiliated in any way, just find that their instruments are a bit lacking and this is a relatively inexpensive way of getting a bit more data from the engines).
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 23:49   #10

If you don't know the hours, setting pre-setting the meter to some hour starting point is a fools errand and unlikely to provide any benefit.

Simply put a plaque next to the meter stating: "This meter was installed on XX/XX/XX date. Hours prior to this date are unknown."

This will give a future buyer or mechanic all the information that you have.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 00:27   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

Sometimes external alternator regulators record their hours which should be very close. An example is the Balmar 612. Let us know how you work it out.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 00:39   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If you don't know the hours, setting pre-setting the meter to some hour starting point is a fools errand and unlikely to provide any benefit.

Simply put a plaque next to the meter stating: "This meter was installed on XX/XX/XX date. Hours prior to this date are unknown."

This will give a future buyer or mechanic all the information that you have.

Amen.

Just making up some quantity of hours is bad practice; possibly even fraud.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 06:34   #13

Boat: Beneteau First 42

If the boat's records include a fuel log, you can estimate run time by adding up the fuel purchased and dividing that by the engine's average fuel burn. For example, if the total fuel purchased were 100 gallons, and the average fuel consumption for the engine is .75 gal per hour, a good estimate of hours run is 100 ÷ .75 = 133.33 hours. For the sake of conservatism, ad 10% (13.3 hours) and a safe estimate would be ≈147 hours. List that on a plastic plate mounted next to the new hour meter.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 07:37   #14

Boat: Seafarer36c

Actually that is how you recreate lost engine logs for an aircraft engine. as per the FAR's.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 08:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post

Actually that is how you recreate lost engine logs for an aircraft engine. as per the FAR's.
Care to quote the rule? I'll give you 10-1 there is a base level of history before you can just make things up.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine