Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2012, 05:39   #1

Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)
How to Fit Oil Breather to Sump ?

the right angled male tube is not long enough to fit into the female sump socket, options are 1 drill a small holding screw 2 pack with a gland packing type thread and 3 ? ideas welcome!
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 08:35   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: How to Fit Oil Breather to Sump?

WTF are you talking about?

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 08:42   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

AHHH ????
Old 17-03-2012, 08:44   #4

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

pictures tell a thousand,,,and so on,,,

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 06:04   #5

Re: How to Fit Oil Breather to Sump ?

ok - the breather on my Ford Dorset 4 cylinder is a 1 in diameter right - angled steel tube with a loose hat on it. it looks like an engineer's draft sketch of a largish mushroom that has been bent at 90 degrees. it plugs into the engine sump at the side, into a female socket. but it drops out as the engine vibrates. so -ho two make it 'stick'? any ideas? thanks!
Old 19-03-2012, 06:30   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The Ford Dorset and Dover series 4 and 6 cylinder engines normally vent from the rocker cover. Is this breather you have original or has someone added it at some point. I had the Dover 4.2 litre 4 cyl engine and yes at full speed with the turbo singing it does have a bit of blow bye. So yes it needs an engine breather, but the 3/4" pipe off the rocker cover vented outside the engine compartment was fine. You are risking blowing out oil by having the breather in the sump. At least the oil drips down the block from the rockers rather than out the breather.

There was a kit to provide an oil sump drain with the Dover series, but it was so slow when changing the oil I took it off and stuck a sump plug in it. Used a vacumn pump to remove the oil when it needed changing.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 04:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The Ford Dorset and Dover series 4 and 6 cylinder engines normally vent from the rocker cover. Is this breather you have original or has someone added it at some point. I had the Dover 4.2 litre 4 cyl engine and yes at full speed with the turbo singing it does have a bit of blow bye. So yes it needs an engine breather, but the 3/4" pipe off the rocker cover vented outside the engine compartment was fine. You are risking blowing out oil by having the breather in the sump. At least the oil drips down the block from the rockers rather than out the breather.

There was a kit to provide an oil sump drain with the Dover series, but it was so slow when changing the oil I took it off and stuck a sump plug in it. Used a vacumn pump to remove the oil when it needed changing.

Pete
hello - thanks to you, that makes a lot of sense - could you please tell me which button to press to thnk all those who responded to my post, or do i do it individually? thanks again - i have very pleasant memories of sailing in the solent and i can certainly imagine you there! J
Old 20-03-2012, 04:59   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Try the thanks button on the bottom RHS of each post. The one with the thumbs up icon
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 05:00   #9

ps - there is a small hose from the top of the rocker cover , and it then loops over to the top of the air intake. is this good practice?! does it mean warm oily air is combusted? !
Old 20-03-2012, 05:05   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Yes but it is warm oily clean air! It means it goes out the exhaust instead of into the engine compartment.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote