Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2011, 02:58   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: How to Lift an Engine

If lifting by using a jack under the oil pan - always - use a board to distribute the load. The bare jack head on the pan could deform it causing it to block the oil pump pickup; that is very bad.
If you have access over the engine, use it to lift your engine. It is safer for you and your engine (and transmission). There are lift plates available for almost all engines so lifting and tilting the engine is easy and safe. Attached to a winch those are good tools to do the job.
Old 30-08-2011, 09:53   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Like Zeehag mentioned, I just put a board (with a step built in it) under the oil pan and used a scissor jack on my 3JH. It's easier if you do the port or stbd side first then switch. Just place the jack off center. I opened up the slotted side of the mounts to give them more free movement for adjustment.

One of the big down falls of Yanmars, the paint is not very good right out of the factory.

BTW a WD-40 misting should be parts of ones winterizing/storage.
Del I wish I had half the mechanical skill you have. Your work always looks perfect!

Yes I agree on the Yanmar paint it isn't very good. I'll see if I can find a scissor jack maybe they have one in those antique car shops LOL. The boat being in SoCal doesn't get a very good winterizing because she is in use all year.

I'll have to study what you mean by the slotted side of the mounts. Is it easier to do port and starboard as opposed to bow and stern? My engine access is much more limited then yours so that Front and back would be easier to work on.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 09:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-and-Boo View Post
If lifting by using a jack under the oil pan - always - use a board to distribute the load. The bare jack head on the pan could deform it causing it to block the oil pump pickup; that is very bad.
If you have access over the engine, use it to lift your engine. It is safer for you and your engine (and transmission). There are lift plates available for almost all engines so lifting and tilting the engine is easy and safe. Attached to a winch those are good tools to do the job.
Thanks MB no access from the top. I actually have an old diesel engine in the garage that I am going to try and lift with a basketball this weekend.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 30-08-2011, 10:57   #19

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I'll have to study what you mean by the slotted side of the mounts. Is it easier to do port and starboard as opposed to bow and stern? My engine access is much more limited then yours so that Front and back would be easier to work on.
The design problem is the slot is straight but should be on a radius in relation to the hole on the other end. If one uses the 12 mm bolts and tries to swivel the mount, the straight slot digs into the threads of the bolt causing a bind. And when you try to tighten the bolt it moves the mount. IAW the round hole should be tight on the 12 mm bolt but loose at the slotted end with a heavy washer to cover the slot.

One spends all that time trying to get an alignment and then when one tightens the bolt it moves the mount. What were they thinking?

As for jacking the motor, front to back should work too. Just protect that oil pan with as much surface contact as possible. Even some kind of cushion between the board and pan helps. I took a board and sprayed foam on it, covered it with plastic and shoved it up under the motor. Now I have a memory bed that I keep on board with a scissor jack just in case I need to jack the motor in an emergency.

The board covers the complete bottom of the pan, and I can move the jack around where ever I want it, fore, aft, P/S.
Old 30-08-2011, 11:14   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Like Zeehag mentioned, I just put a board (with a step built in it) under the oil pan and used a scissor jack on my 3JH. It's easier if you do the port or stbd side first then switch. Just place the jack off center. I opened up the slotted side of the mounts to give them more free movement for adjustment.

One of the big down falls of Yanmars, the paint is not very good right out of the factory.

BTW a WD-40 misting should be parts of ones winterizing/storage.

Jeeze--What I would give to have access to our engine like that...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 11:17   #21

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike
Re: How to lift an Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I don't know that I'd want to be painting the mounts under an engine being supported by a basketball.

(Of course, my solution would be just to spray the mounts with Corrosion Block and forget about the paint.)
Exactly!!!!! Why make work when you don't have to?
Old 30-08-2011, 11:53   #22

Quote:
The design problem is the slot is straight but should be on a radius in relation to the hole on the other end. If one uses the 12 mm bolts and tries to swivel the mount, the straight slot digs into the threads of the bolt causing a bind. And when you try to tighten the bolt it moves the mount. IAW the round hole should be tight on the 12 mm bolt but loose at the slotted end with a heavy washer to cover the slot.

One spends all that time trying to get an alignment and then when one tightens the bolt it moves the mount. What were they thinking?

As for jacking the motor, front to back should work too. Just protect that oil pan with as much surface contact as possible. Even some kind of cushion between the board and pan helps. I took a board and sprayed foam on it, covered it with plastic and shoved it up under the motor. Now I have a memory bed that I keep on board with a scissor jack just in case I need to jack the motor in an emergency.

The board covers the complete bottom of the pan, and I can move the jack around where ever I want it, fore, aft, P/S.
Thanks now I understand what you mean by the slot. I like the idea of the memory board that will make it really easy to lift the engine in the future. This engine is only a few years old and looks good:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1100267...23315067565682

The engine on my other boat doesn't look so nice:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1100267...49264822266450

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 30-08-2011, 14:34   #23
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

There are actually lift bags, air jacks, sold to lift cars using their exhaust or an air pump to blow up the bag. More expensive than a basketball but also larger and designed for the purpose.

Either way you'd need to disconnect the propshaft before lifting, reconnect and align afterwards.

Unless you engine mounts are solid, you might want to replace them at the same time, since rubber engine mounts are intended for about a 5-year life. At that point the rubber gets stiff and they stop absorbing as much vibration, and are more likely to crack as the rubber ages. While the engine is off them...
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 16:10   #24

Boat: Baba 35, Play Actor

I agree with the suggestion that you replace the mounts if you're going to all that trouble. Paint the new ones before you put them in.
Play Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 16:14   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Paint the new ones before "
Not if they are rubber mounts! Painting rubber causes it to degrade. Paint any metal by all means, just not the rubber.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 16:50   #26

I still say crowbars are the easiest. There was never enough space under my engine for a jack. But, two crowbars and a few wooden blocks will allow one to lift the engine up to any height as long as you have enough blocks. But, to change the motor mounts you only need a few inches and you can put the crowbars under the engine brackets and never go near the oil pan.
Old 30-08-2011, 17:00   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wow .. no one mentioned the only way a solo female can get an engine lifted.....

first wear skimpoy clothing

go to place strong not too dumb men hang out...not with alcohol, or not too much , anyway--might wanna do this before 1100 am.....

find 2 BIG boys, preferably named bubba or some such.

one on each side of engine,

LIFT!

reward with beers....

havent had failure of that method yet....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 17:42   #28

@Zeehag: I don't think that will work for me. LOL.

@HS and PA that is a good idea. I will have a look for them.

@ MB I have lots of room under the engine. I think that it will work out fine with a jack.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 30-08-2011, 18:24   #29
ATC
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18' Banno USA Old World

Why not a 2"x4" and pry up on the front pully. Once up place a few blocks under the engine to stablize. We have pulled a few engines in our time and to get them off of the mounts we just took a board and with a little leverage it would pop up. Once we slid the engine out from under the cockpit we would lift them with the boom.

"Suckin Sludge & Havin a Gas"
ATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 19:50   #30

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

DO NOT LIFT BY THE OIL PAN WITH JACKS!!! In most cases, that is sheet metal. There is a reason the put lifting rings on the head.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine