Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2017, 07:39   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: How to remove diesel injector

Dont get scared off having a go at cleaning your injector. Here is a vid:. I would check it's spray pattern as described in manual before I touched it. Pop test is a good idea ( opening pressure ) having said that your Yanmar will be fairly tolerant if its a couple of 100lbs either side. But as sailorchic says you have to be careful re cleanliness. You can anneal copper washers on an electric element if te missus dont catch you.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 11:05   #17

Have had good luck dislodging frozen injectors by first loosening retainer fasteners and using compression from short taps of the starter.
dick sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 16:10   #18

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

Thank you thank you thank you good people - this is all excellent advice!

Replacing the "old banger" would certainly be desirable (I conceded to actually change it's oil the other day - cos it has only been 20 years give or take a bit, but too little too late to appease the gods of diesel evidently).

Buoyed with confidence, I will have another crack. I like the sound of the slide-HAMMER (just kidding good people - hammers are over-rated it seems, so will try compression and pry-bar first).

wish me luck (and I will report back in due course)...
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 16:33   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerandy View Post
Thank you thank you thank you good people - this is all excellent advice!

Replacing the "old banger" would certainly be desirable (I conceded to actually change it's oil the other day - cos it has only been 20 years give or take a bit, but too little too late to appease the gods of diesel evidently).

Buoyed with confidence, I will have another crack. I like the sound of the slide-HAMMER (just kidding good people - hammers are over-rated it seems, so will try compression and pry-bar first).

wish me luck (and I will report back in due course)...
I assume you are joking about 20 year old oil! If you aren't may I suggest changing the fuel filter as well. Also pull out the oil filter if it has the metal leaf screen type & clean it & it's chamber. Those engines are virtually bulletproof but they aren't owner proof. If you are able to get to your diesel tank I'd clean that as well.
Old 20-04-2017, 17:19   #20

Never assume! I take no pride in it, but confess its true

My horrid car gets its oil changed every 5000km (up to 4 or 5 times a bloody year no less) but it/they have a reputation for spitting the dummy over old diesel oil real quick. The only thing I know about the YSE12 is that you "cant kill it with a stick" (It takes a hammer apparently, + 20 odd years of total neglect).

I found out about old diesel fuel last year - I daresay the tank still had some 19 year old fuel traces, but I couldn't help noticing how fast the motor quit as soon as we stuck our nose outside. Fortunately there was wind (+empty fuel cans and some fresh diesel in another) so no need to abort mission, and next morning after a clean up at our roadstead anchorage and a couple of mouthfuls of diesel just for good measure, she sparked up without trouble.

Reckon that episode was likely related to my present injector issues - that old fuel was the colour of urine and smelled just like turps:
Old 20-04-2017, 18:15   #21
Marine Service Provider

Yep I'd say that's a fair guess as to your injector problem :-) Probly got water in your diesel tank as well
Old 25-04-2017, 22:09   #22

OK - so armed with Reducteur - H72 and a pry-bar I found myself back in the coffin-berth looking cross-eyed at the injector a few inches from my nose - not a lot of room down there.
Drowned the whole show in Reducteur for starters, loosened the clamp bolt and nut on the stuck stud, and turned her over a few times. Nothing moved and I was not surprised. Suddenly a brainwave - isn't there a can of Aerostart somewhere in a side locker ya idjit!
Thinking to self, if I can get it to fire then a) it might eject the injector with the extra compression, and b) it might free a stuck injector pin anyway and end up running again (albeit with warning of imminent future failure without further timely attention).
She did indeed fire up on Aerostart, and continue to run thereafter, a bit lumpy at first, but purring within a few minutes - alright, they don't purr, they bang, but you know what I mean - clearly enjoying its new oil from last visit (no - I didn't clean the magnetic filter yet. Can I still pull it, or did that need to be done while the oil was drained)?
What I did find (after re-tightening the injector collar bolts) was that she showed no inclination to fire again on her own unless I pulled the fuel pump lever an extra mm or two forward, to its maximum - whereupon starts no problem.
I am now presuming I need to "adjust the rack", ie, the lever on its spindle, to ensure I am getting a full throttle position through the old linkage. Is that simply a matter of loosening the shaft lock clamp above the fuel pump, and perhaps turning the slotted screw that sticks out above?
I still intend to get that injector serviced when I can get it out, but seems it may not have been the problem in the first place. Might simply have been insufficient fuel delivery from the pump. Then again the bypass line had a lot of fuel in it when removed last week, so maybe the injector pin was stuck and shaken free when the motor fired...

Tags
diesel