Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2022, 17:25   #31

Re: How to repair a hole in a plastic outboard tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I take your point about proper care of the tanks but it's a bit of a pain. No place out of the sun in a small dinghy and it doesn't take long at all for the tank to overheat and swell if you leave it at a dock in the sun for just an hour or two. So then you have to remember to loosen the fill cap a little to prevent pressure build up, then remember to tighten again when you get back in the dinghy to keep from spilling gas. Then if it cools off a lot at night you end up pulling a vacuum in the tank.

Maybe I don't know the trick but this is all I know how to do.

If not using the motor for a while I will close the vents and additionally if not using it for a month or two, I try not to store the gas at all. Even with Stabil it doesn't seem to keep well.
Put a bladder in the existing tank...
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 22:11   #32

Re: How to repair a hole in a plastic outboard tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsurfin View Post
Its worth the danger of a bad wield? Time to bite(no pun intended) the bullet and purchase new or used if located.
This is my thought also.

Really, just cracking the cap a bit is the simplest solution and shouldn't introduce any water into the tank.

Old school idea...get the new can and at the highest point, take a self tapping screw eye of small diameter and screw it into the tank. Use a piece of UV resistant cord and tie the screw eye to the tank handle.

When you want to vent, remove the screw. When you want it sealed, insert the screw. Being an screw eye, you can easily do it with your bare hands. If you can't make it short enough to keep the screw away from the tubes, mount a small piece of starboard adjacent and screw it into that when venting the tank.

Did this on a water jug that had no vent and wouldn't pour smoothly. Works great a few years in with no sign of the hole being stripped (and I could always replace with a slightly larger screw if it does).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard, repair