Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 03:18   #31

Boat: GULFSTAR 53 MOTORSAILER
Re: how to safely buying a charter catamaran with high engine hours

Yanmar was one of the light duty motors I was referring to. Very popular because of price and weight for boat builders who want to make a profit
MAJICDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:19   #32

Boat: GULFSTAR 53 MOTORSAILER

Sail drives do not last long either.
MAJICDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:39   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
You won't be getting any seller to agree to a sale of an engine in "good condition". As in all things, caveat emptor. The charter companies don't usually have any paperwork at all on their maintenance and service.
"Good condition" is a nebulous term.

But an offer "subject to survey" that includes a mechanic giving the engine a once over, including compression check is fairly normal and shouldn't raise any eyebrows.

Once you get the mechanics take on it....you can pull out of the deal or if you follow thru, it's on you if it turns out to be a lemon.

The vast majority of failed pleasure boat engines are due to lack of use & maintenance. Wearing them out is a rarity. If the compression checks out and everything else looks good, I wouldn't hesitate to buy with 4000hr.

I certainly wouldn't be replacing engines that start/run well and don't smoke...just in case unless doing some extreme trip where repairs will be very difficult. Age/hours related failures are typically a gradual process and you should have plenty of time to select a point to repair or replace.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:59   #34

Lots of engine hours. It is a boat, use it well and budget at least $ 30,000 for future replacements over hopefully many years.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:21   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
how to safely buying a charter catamaran with high engine hours

This goes against common boat wisdom, but it’s very common in the aircraft world to stagger your TBO’s on a multi engine airplane, that way you don’t get hit with one huge bill. You get hit with 1/2 but twice as often.

If I were buying a cat with older, possibly questionable engines, and going to undertake that epic trip, I’d consider replacing one of them, many boats on epic trips are doing so on only one engine as it is.
No epic trip. I’d run them until they wore out. Now one thing about older engines, they need more frequent oil changes than new engines as they have more blow-by and blow -by is what contaminates oil with soot, and soot is why we change our Diesel oil, but being old motors it’s real common for them to not even get it changed on schedule, much less an accelerated schedule.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:21   #36

Boat: PDQ Capella 36

As part of the deal I would want all the changeable things in the motor changed. Oil, impeller, Filters of fuel oil air. Do it while you’re there so you see and
Learn.

As an off new boat it will immediately show anything electrical added since factory. These deserve close scrutiny.
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:37   #37

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

A good rule of thumb is $200 to $400 per 1 horsepower for diesel engine replacement. This also mostly applies to outboards too. My Yamaha 9.9 costs about $3000 so it's right in the middle. Convenience and location affect the price as others have said. That 45 hp engine would probably be $9000 to $18,000 installed.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:10   #38

Boat: Parkstone Bay 21

Unless I missed it, in which case - sorry !! - the OP hasn't specified anything about the engines. IF (and I stress IF) they are truck/commercial vehicle (Heavy-duty) marinised, well 4000 hours at 30mph average = 120,000 miles which is high, but not excessive, for a truck, which should be good for 200,000 miles or more. If they are a lesser breed, 4000 sounds like quite a lot. Even Oil analysis will only go so far, we don't know how many cycles a valve spring can do betefore it fails, or an oil seal, or an injector pump.
parkstone bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:34   #39

If an ex charter boat has not been run aground (seriously) in other words, no external evidence and no repairs and the engine(s) has/have not been overheated which given the high quality maintenance provided is highly unlikely, then they present a good buy. Usually, some cosmetic work would be a benefit but otherwise as a rudimentary coastal cruiser, they are ready to go. 4000 engine hours may seem high but the diesel (s) are very reliable and long lasting with a good decade of useful, reliable time remaining; certainly upwards of 6000 hours.

Years ago in 1993 we bought a new Moorings 445 (Beneteau Oceanis 440). Took it out of charter in 1997 with 3200 hours on the Yanmar 4 Cyl, 50 HP diesel. Completed a circumnavigation in 2006. Sailed it on the BC West Coast until 2013. Sold it with 8000 hrs on the diesel. The new owner has done Alaska and then to Baja and this season is heading for Hawaii and back to BC and the diesel is still going just fine. 4000 hours is merely broken in. Go for it! Oh, as might be expected, before going bluewater, any vessel needs a major refit with all the necessary gear for long distance non stop all weather cruising. That is why a recently returned vessel off a circumnavigation is also something to consider.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:38   #40

I would get a very trust worthy diesel mechanic to perform a Mechanical Survey. He will check the alternator and batteries as well as compression of the cylinders, oil analysis etc. only then will you know if the engine is solid.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 17:42   #41

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Guess all has been said already here, but here is my quick feedback:
- Good diesel can easily live to 10,000 hours if well maintained
- I'd prefer a younger diesel with 4,000 hours over an old one with 2,000 - diesels like to work hard and what usually breaks first are all kind of soft parts: gaskets, hoses, sensors etc. and neglecting these can generate serious mechanical issues.
- serious charter companies and private owners should have copies of the bills paid for parts and service and many also maintain an engine maintenance log - as I do.
- Surveyors are important in the process, but if you have concerns about the engine, a special engine survey is needed - this is, in most cases an additional cost paid to a mechanic surveyor.
- In the purchase contract you should reserve the right to walk away and have your deposit back should a serious issue has been found that has not reported in advance - or if you prefer, reduce the repair/replacement cost from the final price.

And... boats are not only an engine - at least for me.... The survey should thoroughly examine the structural condition, rigging, plumbing, other systems, deck, fittings etc.. - some of these areas could cost you more than an engine in case of serious failure...

Yet, the survey cannot and will not find everything... be prepared to spend at least 10-30% of the purchase price in additional costs for repairs and upgrades. With old, poorly maintained boats such costs can easily be higher than the purchase price...

Best of luck

Tags
buying, catamaran, charter, engine