Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2016, 19:11   #1

How to stop perkins perama 103.06

Guys,

I was worried if the engine will start (yes, it does!) but never if it will stop . Being said this, im not able to stop the engine.

On the fuel injection pump is T leveler which I tought is supposed to be hook up to kill switch in the cockpit (as how it was on my old volvo penta). BUT if I move it right there nothing happens, engine does not stop. I think thats not right, yes?

The way i stop it now is that i decrease rpm on throttle and engine dies. Thats just hot fix.

I googled little bit and found that the engine might be stopped electronicaly but in the wiring diagram there is no mention about how i shoukd lead the stop wire. Also, there does not seem to be any free terminal on the engine.

I have NOT tried to turn the key switch to off position as i dont want to break something.

Also, on the injection pump below T leveler there is some nipple on the spring. What is its purpose?

Second question is about oil in fuel injection pump. One friend told me that there is oil and its level needs to be checked. However, how to check oil level and change it, if something like this is really neccessary?

Thanks a lot, tomas
arecuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 05:04   #2

Re: How to stop perkins perama 103.06

The normal way to stop the Perama engine is by moving the stop lever in a clockwise fashion. This moves the governor linkage and fuel rack to the " no fuel" position and the engine stops. Also, normally you cannot move the throttle lever so far that the engine dies, because the idle stop screw prevents the throttle arm from traveling that far. The fact that the stop lever doesn't work and the throttle screw has been backed out to allow the engine to die indicates that there might be a governor linkage problem that has been worked around.

To stop the engine electrically you will have to install an electric stop solenoid on the engine. The solenoid screws into the rear of the injection pump housing where there is a hex head plug now. There are two types of solenoids available for your engine: energize to run and energize to stop. Most industrial and generator applications use the energize to run type, and marine applications use energize to stop. You can get the "energize to run" type from Northern Light generator and the "energize to stop" from Volvo Penta. ( for the D1-30 engine)

There is no separate oil supply for the injection pump on this engine. Everything in the governor and injection pump is lubricated by engine oil.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 05:27   #3

DougR, thank you, you are always very helpfull.

I dont want electric stop at the moment. I was just wondering if i have it or not. I tried to move the key switch to off position while engine was running and nothing happend. Good, end story here.

So i guess i need to fix that lever, is it a big job or good mechanic can do it quickly? Do you expect i need any some special spare parts? A friend told that maybe it needs to be just somehow adjusted.

Also, whats is the small nipple right below the stop lever? It sits on a spring and I can pull it out little bit. See picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	117964  
arecuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 05:37   #4

Well, the picture isn't too clear, but I think you are looking at the end of a shaft that the main governor linkage mounts and pivots on. It shouldn't be able to move side to side very much at all, as it is located in position by spring clips. Sometime called "e" clips. If this shaft has come adrift it could explain the problem you are having. When the stop lever is activated, it pushes the main governor linkage toward the front of the timing case and this action pulls the pump rack to the "no fuel" position and the engine stops.

I think if you can look at a parts breakdown for the engine you will see what I am talking about. If you can't find the parts book for the Perkins 103, you should be able to find an on-line book for the Volvo Penta 2020 or 2030 engine. It's basically the same.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perama, perkins