Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2008, 11:58   #1

Boat: West Wind, 38' Beneteau
Hurth HBW 10-2R in pieces on my bench

I am not a mechanic!
My transmission had been underwater and it was rusted solid. I took it apart and cleaned all the rusty mud out of it and finally got all 4 bearings spinning freely. Besides new gaskets what else would you recommend I do before I put it back together. If it requires parts who do you recommend? (I have no clue how to take the Bearings off if that is a recommendation. )

This paragraph is written two hours later: I guess I'm not done. I tried a dry refit to see if I remembered how to put it together. It went together OK, but the gears are in a lock position. The only way I can describe it is that it seems to be in forward aned reverse at the same time. I can move the center track that changes the gears, but nothing happens. Am I supposed to be able to see a change? Do I have to take the whole gear assembly apart? Be gentle. I'm not a mechanic
Kaptin-Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 12:17   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Congratulations on the Guts to take the bull full on. It is a a great way to learn, but....yikes, couldn't you have tried something a little less difficult for your fist adventure? Like maybe....ummm....Brain surgery;-):-)
Before you worry about the box being locked up, you need to pull it apart one more time and inspect the races of those bearings. Please check and confirm there is no discolouration of the bearing surface inside and no pitting of the little Balls. Marks on these surfaces is usually the first thing to occur from water contamination and at best the box will whine when running and worst, the bearings will fail and could destroy something more critical. It is easier to replace the bearing now, than go through it all again later.
The locking up part, it could take a bit to turn it. Have you any tranny fluid in it, or is it still dry? If it is dry, the plates could be gripping too much. Or...
You may have a thrust washer or spacer on the wrong side of a bearing or gear and the result is one gear is not coming away from another completely. It's hard to know without seeing. I assume you took notes or photo's of where everything went as you removed parts. The only other thing is to get a manual and go step by step. Take a look in the Manuals section and see if one is there for it. Mute point if you have already done that of course.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 12:48   #3

Nice to meet you Alan

I am a long time participant in another forum, but this was my first post here.
Poverty--the mother of invention and learning how to fix transmissions.

I have been rebuilding my Benny for three years. I bought it at salvage for $800.00. It was broke in half and sank, so I am learning how to do lots of stuff. I wasn't planning on this, but if I am going to be involved in this forum you should see where I am at now. I attached some progress pictures taken 3 weeks ago after I rolled and tipped and before the first splash.
"Plates could be gripping too much"
Should I try to pry them apart? I am afraid they are rusted together. What tool do I use to remove the bearings? Once the bearings are removed I can then take the other rings apart one at a time and clean them, and also take your advice and replace the bearings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-655F.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	3373   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-656F.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	3374  

Name:	MVC-618F.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	3375   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-652F.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	3376  

Name:	MVC-672F.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	3377  
Old 20-04-2008, 13:07   #4

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
"I have been rebuilding my Benny for three years. I bought it at salvage for $800.00. It was broke in half and sank"

THAT boat was broken in half?? How did you repair the break? She looks terrific.

Patrick
psteele235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 13:28   #5

"THAT boat was broken in half?? How did you repair the break? She looks terrific."

Thanks!

3 years of itchy week end work, then lots of fairing. The salon was also cracked and the toe rails were folded when the mast came down. All new (salvaged) toe rails, new (salvaged) hatches. I still have dried mud in the headliner, but I'm slowly replacing everything. Most of the wood has been pulled out, re-veneered with teak not that mystery wood that Beneteau used, and then varnished and is filling up the spare bedroom. All the 110v is run. A/C is pumping. Now the priority is the engine. Thats turning, but I need to get the transmission working.
Old 20-04-2008, 21:25   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mate!!! wow!! that is fabulous work in the painting department. Well done.
OK to the box. Yep if she was gunked up with silt and water, then you are going to have to replace the clutch packs. Not to hard to do. I doubt the plates will be worth just trying to make work, but you could certainly try. You will certainly need to break down the pack and clean and check each plate. Assemble with some transmission assembly lube. This is a grease like substance that dissolves as soon as the fluid starts flowing around. Without the assembly lube, you will tear the plates apart. Use the lube on anything and everything. It helps hold things in place as well. Normally you need special tools to remove and refit packs. But it can also be done with a bit of inginuity.
Seals will also be damaged if they have been dry for awhile. May as well get a Recon pack.
I would assume a recon pack is available. Pat! would there be such a thing over your way???If there is one available, then buy it and replace everything that comes in the pack. It shouldn't be too expensive and certainly worth the effort now, than when the thing is back in the boat you then find you have a problem.

Old 21-04-2008, 03:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Pat! would there be such a thing over your way???
yep, there is a bearing kit. as well as a clutch and seal kit.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 12:47   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
yep, there is a bearing kit. as well as a clutch and seal kit.
Cool. Kaptin-Jer, I would contact Pat via PM and ask him to send you a clutch, bearing and seal kit and fit it all.

Old 21-04-2008, 15:01   #9

Thanks Wheels,
I like being sent in the right direction. It's what these forums are all about. I'll be in touch with Pat.
I have been giving Awl Grip Roll and Tip advise in the other forum for the past 3 years. I'll be glad to hang around here too. If you think there is a need in a Cruising Forum.
Old 21-04-2008, 23:52   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We always need advice. Make yourself at home. I hope you will feel welcome and we look forward to your participation.

Old 25-04-2008, 03:25   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
"ZF Marine Hurth SpA" has now been re-named " ZF Marine Arco SpA".
Lots of downloads here:
SERVER BUSY

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 15:59   #12

Gordy,
Yep, been there, and have a manual that was provided by Pat. This week-end I'll start pulling the gears apart and seeing what can be cleaned and what I need to get from Pat.
Thanks
Old 26-04-2008, 00:05   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One of the most valuable tools you can use is the digital camera. Take lots of pictures of every step you take in dismantling.

Old 26-04-2008, 15:09   #14

Great idea if I could get the gear apart!! I wasted 3 hours trying to take off a nut with a spaner design that holds everthing together. Until a guy at the Marina told me I have to heat it with a tourch This is a real learning process-and I seem to be a slow learner.

Tags
hurth