Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 04:53   #16

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Hurth Tranny Bad Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post

This transmission was rebuilt in Dec 2016 in Chula Vista CA, I can't remember the name of the mechanic. We needed the oil seals replaced. I don't think they did anything with the clutch plates as there were no shifting or slippage issues then. Since then we have put about 1200 hours on it.

More than a few professional mechanics will tell you that a rebuilt Hurth runs the risk of never being as good as new, particularly one rebuilt on a local mechanic’s bench vs one sent out to a dedicated rebuild shop.
Old 06-12-2018, 20:16   #17

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462
Re: Hurth Tranny Bad Reverse

OK, this thread can be closed and thanks to all. Actually the transmission is a Hurth HBW250. The manual that came with the boat, and some other literature left by previous owner, said it was a HBW20 and I had not read the numbers on the unit itself.

Foley has an HBW250 but won't ship to Mexico. Suppose I could get my daughter to re-ship it to me here but that will be a big delay and we want to keep moving. Since the old transmission is working fine in forward and shifts to reverse most of the time, we will continue south and look for another way to ship somewhere we will be in the future.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurth