Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2015, 11:42   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Hurth/ZF 15 with oil cooler

Hi folks,

I am about to order a new transmission and my understanding is that an oil cooler (which only costs a little bit more) helps improve the lifetime of the transmission greatly.

1) Any feelings about this?

2) How does one use/attach the oil cooler? Does it get looped into the raw water flow for the engine?

- z
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 12:00   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Hurth/ZF 15 with oil cooler

IIRC the cooler is an external unit that bolts to the flat surface on the port side of the tranny case, relying upon heat transfer through the case and the wall of the cooler. And yes, the cooler is plumbed into the raw water circuit before going into the main HE.

I think it is a worthwhile addition, especially if you are anywhere near the HP limits for the tranny. These units have a surprisingly small quantity of ATF in them (my ZF10 has only 350 mL) and keeping the temperature down is helpful.

Jim
Old 25-02-2015, 21:23   #3

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Heat is The Enemy!
A cooler wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 18:01   #4

I managed to get the transmission out today... what a biaaaatch that was. I am black and blue. The existing transmission has an oil cooler but its only $30 for a new one so I'm going to order that with the transmission instead of using the old one.

This unit had the transmission seals professionally replaced back in November. However, because I know that I probably used the engine about 20 hours with no fluid in it, IMO, its toast.

Now for the issue. The transmission was so far in the bilge of the boat I needed a come-along to raise the engine up about 10 inches so could remove the transmission. I could barely reach the transmission top in its normal position, which means I could never reach the bottom.

When I took it out I noticed the drain plug was loose. Hm. In other words, the drain was never properly tightened and now I am out a $1700 transmission. I'm weighing my options and approach right now but I do not think I am unreasonable to expect some compensation.

What do you guys think?

- z
Old 26-02-2015, 18:33   #5

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I managed to get the transmission out today... what a biaaaatch that was. I am black and blue. The existing transmission has an oil cooler but its only $30 for a new one so I'm going to order that with the transmission instead of using the old one.

This unit had the transmission seals professionally replaced back in November. However, because I know that I probably used the engine about 20 hours with no fluid in it, IMO, its toast.

Now for the issue. The transmission was so far in the bilge of the boat I needed a come-along to raise the engine up about 10 inches so could remove the transmission. I could barely reach the transmission top in its normal position, which means I could never reach the bottom.

When I took it out I noticed the drain plug was loose. Hm. In other words, the drain was never properly tightened and now I am out a $1700 transmission. I'm weighing my options and approach right now but I do not think I am unreasonable to expect some compensation.

What do you guys think?

- z

Hummm, have you had the boat long?
What were the conditions of purchase?
Tricky question without any prior knowledge.
Buyer beware, doesn't seem to unreasonable, but that's not what your looking to hear.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 18:53   #6

We've owned the boat for coming on two years. The issue with the seals began after we put on another 300 or so hours to the transmission. Its not the sellers fault - the transmission was fine when we bought it - just bad timing. It happens.

I'm talking about professional negligence. I'm sure Hurth has standards for how tight bolts and nuts should be. This was not the only loose nut I found - I also found that three of the six nuts holding the transmission to the engine were loose enough to turn by hand when I went to remove it. Aren't you supposed to use lock-tite or a spring washer or something on important pieces?

Tags
hurth, oil