Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 21:55   #16

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
We know folks with an almost new Lagoon 42 hybrid. It has a pair of 13-14hp (10kw) motors. It cruises at 6-6.5 kts. They normally come with a pair of 40 hp Yanmars, cruise at 8kts, max at 9 kts.

Frankly, that's HUGE to me.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:38   #17

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Just where will you put the twin 500 gallon tanks? Then we get structural issues mounting the engines, weight, and then eventually limitations of the hull speed. .
My thinking is the extra HP is for getting out of trouble (weather or being chased down by criminals).. so plan would be to use Sail Boat fuel most of the time. You can get these with 40hp and I think they have an option for 70hp... not sure if you can just turbo a 70 to get to 100 or not, or if the Hull speed is going to make going to 100hp moot. At any rate the fuel would probably be under 200 gal in total.. enough for 10-20 hrs of hard running... At least that is what I was thinking...

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 14:49   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
At any rate the fuel would probably be under 200 gal in total.. enough for 10-20 hrs of hard running... At least that is what I was thinking...
What about regular motoring and charging the batteries? This 200 gallons would be in addition to what ever you care to call standard. At best that might amount to a 200 nm range. Anything moving toward you is probably moving faster than that and if it is close, the weather it generates before it won't be smooth water. Maxing at about 9 knots sort of sounds accurate, but all that could go down in heavy weather. You really are in no condition to out run anything you can't know about far ahead of time. I think at that point you could have made a better decision to bail out earlier than the 10 to 20 hours later your high speed range affords.

The money invested in better weather information and routing services would carry a better return. Running the engines at very slow rpms for normal situations is not always in your best interest either. The extra maintenance and higher fuel consumption just seems like an idea you would regret. Given you are not really spending money a lot of better ideas come to mind.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote