Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2024, 22:45   #31

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat
Re: Hypothetical: best engines to look for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofacey View Post
IMO outboards have very limited application for ocean going cruisers - in big waves, or tough bar crossings, they just don't go deep enough.

If you buy new, most modern diesel inboards will be good.

If used, then I'd stay away from Volvo; parts are just stupid. Yanmar slightly better....but if you're after an engine that endures, you want a slow turning unit - Perkins, Beta, Cummings.
I think you probably mean 'Cummins' diesel...right?
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2024, 23:01   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: neptunus 56 fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
My Volvo 2003 is now 35 years
Oh and spares aren't a problem either.

Pete
because you don't need any parts. this year i after 5500 and 6000 hours
i change on 2 my VP d2-55 diesel injection element and after check compresion all be over 30 bar,this is condition on new engine. this engine block perkins 404d-22 is best diesel engine ever produced in world. also over 3 milion block is produced in world.what other not car engine is produced in this number.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2024, 00:42   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
Yanmar

parts are easily available and reasonably priced
WOW! You are the very first person I've heard say that!

Jim
Old 22-07-2024, 05:31   #34

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
My Volvo 2003 is now 35 years old and still going strong. That sounds like a quite reasonable life expectancy to me. Not many cars around at 35 years.

Oh and spares aren't a problem either.

Pete
A friend of mine has a ~35' trawler that he does a perpetual Great Loop on, maybe 30 times now (and, yeah, the boat looks like it is lived aboard and has done 30 Great Loops...). He's on his third engine, a Volvo, and he has 14,000 hours on it. Of course, that's probably around 10-15 years old, so a lot of hours, but not a lot of years. Not sure what horsepower, but a 5 cylinder in a 35' trawler is probably around 100hp (or less)?
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2024, 18:29   #35

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
WOW! You are the very first person I've heard say that!

Jim
Relatively speaking of course. What other engine brand has better global parts available and at a better price?
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2024, 18:47   #36

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Relatively speaking of course. What other engine brand has better global parts available and at a better price?
Kubota
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2024, 19:55   #37
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Kubota
Kubota dont have marine dealer network,kubota dont care for marine engine. look dealer network in EU. kubota have cover only couple contry in EU. look volvo yanmar network

https://www.kubota.com/network/index...&region=europe
Old 22-07-2024, 23:33   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
Kubota dont have marine dealer network,kubota dont care for marine engine. look dealer network in EU. kubota have cover only couple contry in EU. look volvo yanmar network

https://www.kubota.com/network/index...&region=europe
In the 21 years of owning my Beta 50 (Kubota) The only marinization parts I have replaced are the engine mounts at 18 years and normal service parts (impellers, zincs, etc). I have also replaced fuel injectors and valve cover gaskets. Available from Kubota dealers and other sources.

So instead go with Yanmar that won't even let you change your own oil without voiding your warranty.
Old 23-07-2024, 02:04   #39
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
In the 21 years of owning my Beta 50 (Kubota) The only marinization parts I have replaced are the engine mounts at 18 years and normal service parts (impellers, zincs, etc). I have also replaced fuel injectors and valve cover gaskets. Available from Kubota dealers and other sources.

So instead go with Yanmar that won't even let you change your own oil without voiding your warranty.
what you talking what warranty,yannmar warranty is 12 months or 1000 hrs
1 free oil change after 50 hours is your big problem.
i dont understend you have problem with 1 oil change ( calculated in price when you buy new engine)
i dont like yanmar engine only because cone clutch,and ussualy pass boat with yanmar engine because i prefers Volvo penta ,this Perkins 402 engine rare need any engine parts first 18000 hours
Old 23-07-2024, 02:21   #40

Quote:
what you talking what warranty,yannmar warranty is 12 months or 1000 hrs
1 free oil change after 50 hours is your big problem.
i dont understend you have problem with 1 oil change ( calculated in price when you buy new engine)
i dont like yanmar engine only because cone clutch,and ussualy pass boat with yanmar engine because i prefers Volvo penta ,this Perkins 402 engine rare need any engine parts first 18000 hours
Wow, only 12 months. IIRC my Beta was guaranteed for 5 years. Another reason not to like Yanmar.
Old 23-07-2024, 03:11   #41
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Wow, only 12 months. IIRC my Beta was guaranteed for 5 years. Another reason not to like Yanmar.
beta marine warranty also 1 year
https://betamarine.co.uk/seagoing-warranty/
Commercial applications: 1 year from date of the invoice from Beta Marine Ltd or 1000 operating hours whichever comes first.
Old 23-07-2024, 07:54   #42

Quote:
Commercial applications: 1 year from date of the invoice from Beta Marine Ltd or 1000 operating hours whichever comes first.
Wow, I guess you can't read. One year for commercial, 5 years or 2000 hours for pleasure:

Pleasure applications/private use: 5 years from date of the invoice from Beta Marine Ltd or 2000 operating hours, whichever comes first (except Saildrive). Saildrive warranty is limited to Pleasure use only; and a maximum of two years from commissioning or 200 operating hours whichever comes first.
Old 23-07-2024, 07:56   #43

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Wow, I guess you can't read. One year for commercial, 5 years or 2000 hours for pleasure:

Pleasure applications/private use: 5 years from date of the invoice from Beta Marine Ltd or 2000 operating hours, whichever comes first (except Saildrive). Saildrive warranty is limited to Pleasure use only; and a maximum of two years from commissioning or 200 operating hours whichever comes first.
Not sure why more focused on commercial given 99.9999999% of the people here are personal but Yanmar has the exact same warranty for personal use.

Note that both Yanmar and Beta only cover core engine components beyond year 2.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2024, 08:10   #44

Quote:
Not sure why more focused on commercial given 99.9999999% of the people here are personal but Yanmar has the exact same warranty for personal use.

Interesting. I have to look at the 20+ year old manual that I have on board. It seems to me that their warranty has changed since then. Distinguishing between moving and static parts.

Still, the burden of having installation and normal maintenance required by an authorized dealer is a big negative for the normal cruiser. I did my 50 hour oil chance adrift in the North sea on the way to Norway from England.
Old 23-07-2024, 08:11   #45

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Stormalong is not focused on commercial but pleasure craft. More published the warranty period for commercial and Stormalong was pointing out the five year period for pleasure vessels.
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, engine