Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2024, 19:15   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Hypothetical: best engines to look for.

I feel much more comfortable repairing/using an outboard. I can pick it up take it apart, and put it back together. You can swap dingy motor out in an emergency. Worst case it’s not a fortune to buy a new one. And not hard to take off boat and replace. Like I did on my Prout. Felt very safe with a new Honda when I was docking.

Weirdly, an inboard scares the crap out of me. I don’t work on cars. Just motorcycles and outboards.

What is best engines to look for if I have to get inboard?

Perkins? Yanmar? Not sure I would trust a Volvo. Everyone with a Volvo car I’ve known ended up replacing car when engine went out. Perkins sounds good but questionable getting parts? Yanmar sounds good as you can get parts…

Going to buy another Catamaran (hopefully 2000 or newer), just starting the search. If I can get dual Yamahas out boards I will, but if they have to be inboards what is the best?
pianopraze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2024, 19:38   #2

Re: Hypothetical: best engines to look for.

Any of the brands, well cared for, will last a very long time. Most recreational diesels are very poorly cared for, so they die an early death. In short, the previous owners of the motor have FAR more to do with your experieicne with it than the name on the block.

I have a 27 year old Volvo TMD22 that sometime this season will turn 10,000 hours. It's a Perkins block with Volvo marinizing. Parts are readily available from Volvo dealers, or Perkins dealers.

If you are getting a catamaran with saildrives, I would worry far more about those fragile beasts that the engine that drives them.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2024, 22:42   #3

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

Be careful! If you have owned a boat with a Gardner you will never recover.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2024, 02:15   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit

I agree with SailingHarmonie that any of the brands are fine if well cared for. We have a 30 year old Volvo MD2040B in our sailboat and have had very few issues, but parts are expensive. I re-powered a museum vessel several years ago with a Beta. I chose the Beta over a Yanmar because the Beta does not have an electronic control system on it, which is one less expensive thing that can fail and leave you stuck.
Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2024, 03:35   #5

I'd go with Beta. Its a marinized Kubota so parts and service available worldwide. Very reliable and its systems more user/mechanic friendly than the others. Also many parts can be obtained cheaper through Kubota tractor dealers, you just need to do some research to cross reference Beta vs Kubota tractor parts numbers.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2024, 04:34   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Are there any production cats (circa 2000) with Beta or Kubuto engines?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2024, 06:04   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I've owned two Volvo's and swore never again. Could bore you to tears explaining why.

I think the thing to be aware off, is to get an engine, that parts, service, etc, are world wide.

In that respect, Yanmar and Beta ( Kubota) are probably my picks.

The earlier Perkins, Westerbeke and others were good engines in their day, but quite dated today.

Having said all of the above, providing regular service on any engine is key to longevity.

While we can be proud to have a " sailboat", the diesel is the heart of any boat, and most sailors motor far more than they'll admit, so it becomes paramount to to cast a loving hand over the beast.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2024, 08:03   #8

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Agree will avoid saildrives if possible.

That is biggest bain to Prout owners who haven’t repowered to outboards. If I can get dual Yamaha outboards like PDQ, Seawind or TomCat have would be my preference. Love redundancy.

Looking at smaller cats for sale right now, most have yanmars or outboards. Not seen any Beta/Kubota.

I never got in stronger than 40knots and 2 meter waves on my Prout with my outboard. Was not a problem. Would large seas breaking over the back swamp an outboard? I wonder looking at PDQs/TomCats/Seawind with Yamahas on them if that might be a problem?

Examples:

pianopraze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2024, 14:20   #9

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I put a Beta 50 in my 44 boat this last year, replaced a Perkins 4108, I am very happy.
Perkins for all their lovers is old. I have Perkins in one of my tractors, it is an old PITA to work on, but it still runs after 60 years.

My Pearson has a Yanmar, again happy. I would go with new and simple, Beta.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2024, 14:53   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianopraze View Post
Perkins? Yanmar? Not sure I would trust a Volvo. Everyone with a Volvo car I’ve known ended up replacing car when engine went out. Perkins sounds good but questionable getting parts? Yanmar sounds good as you can get parts…

Going to buy another Catamaran (hopefully 2000 or newer), just starting the search. If I can get dual Yamahas out boards I will, but if they have to be inboards what is the best?
volvo penta 30+75 hp engine is perkins engine,today CAT.
how old you if you buy new engine why you thinking parts next 25-30 year yu need oil and filter and evry 5-6 year exhausts elbow only.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2024, 07:31   #11

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kijit View Post
I agree with SailingHarmonie that any of the brands are fine if well cared for. We have a 30 year old Volvo MD2040B in our sailboat and have had very few issues, but parts are expensive. I re-powered a museum vessel several years ago with a Beta. I chose the Beta over a Yanmar because the Beta does not have an electronic control system on it, which is one less expensive thing that can fail and leave you stuck.
Our Yanmar 3JH5E of 2011 has no electronic control.
I don't know about current models.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2024, 07:46   #12

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Think hard about gasoline vs. diesel. I appreciate the pros of the outboards, but you really, really have to be careful with gasoline. Yes, I know, the power boaters do it all the time, but diesel gives a margin of safety that is hard to ignore. I have a small outboard on my own boat, but don't love having even the 3.1 gallon tank aboard. I am more comfortable when I bareboat with dozens of gallons of diesel aboard and the gasoline sequestered on the dingy.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2024, 08:24   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

I’ve had the greatest success with Yanmars and Yamahas. YMMV
Capt Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2024, 08:54   #14

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Are there any production cats (circa 2000) with Beta or Kubuto engines?
For whatever reason (maybe related to EPA regulations?) I don't think Beta/Kubota have ever been installed OEM. But I may be wrong, it's just a suspicion.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2024, 10:22   #15

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
I'd go with Beta. Its a marinized Kubota so parts and service available worldwide. Very reliable and its systems more user/mechanic friendly than the others. Also many parts can be obtained cheaper through Kubota tractor dealers, you just need to do some research to cross reference Beta vs Kubota tractor parts numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastJoe View Post
I put a Beta 50 in my 44 boat this last year, replaced a Perkins 4108, I am very happy.
Perkins for all their lovers is old. I have Perkins in one of my tractors, it is an old PITA to work on, but it still runs after 60 years.

My Pearson has a Yanmar, again happy. I would go with new and simple, Beta.
I put a Beta 50 in my '44 in 2003. It replaced a Perkins 4-108 which was a bit under powered for my boat. The Kubota is a much better than the Perkins. Still have the boat and still happy with the choice after about 5,000 hours on it.

Beta allows for owner installation and maintenance without voiding the warranty. Kubota engine parts are available everywhere at reasonable prices. Beta phone support has been excellent. Better if you call England but the North Carolina support is good too.

From what I have read Yanmar requires factory authorized professional installation and maintenance, even down to oil changes or your warranty is void. To me that is a deal killer.

Yanmar, Volvo and other "marine" engine builders go a long way to hide the OEM part numbers for replacements and mark the prices up dramatically. I had that experience with Westerbeke a few decades ago. Never again.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, engine