Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2021, 07:09   #61

Re: I lost my prop....

Sure ! without the prop you were very fast in light winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonM View Post
Thanks I am considering all my options. The boat is in the middle of a refit, but a prop was not on the list. I think we all have had that happen to us.....

On an off note when I lost the prop it was in the evening when I was anchoring near shore. My anchor would not grab! I raised my sails instantly and narrowly avoided a grounding. Thank god I had wind to work with!!!! On a positive note I bear'ed out into the Gulf of Mexico and continued my cruise. I ended up having one of the best night sails I have ever had
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 06:39   #62

Talking Re: I lost my prop....

Quote:
Hello:

I was out this weekend and I lost the prop on my Beneteau 473 I am pretty sure it was the original 3 bladed bronze prop from the factory. I really don't have the budget for a new prop right now, but curious if anyone can make any suggestions or recommendations on getting a new one and what specs I should look for.

Thanks...
First I would contact Beneteau for specs. They may even offer a source. Then with their info you can find out what the price would be. It will most likely be less expensive to higher a diver to put a new prop on. Just a thought.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 06:56   #63

I guess the Man Overboard button on devices would be great for such losses. At least you have some hope of diving later with SCUBA gear / have someone dive to retrieve it..
tkalfaoglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 07:15   #64

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

Many options on ebay under $200
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 07:42   #65

Get in the habit of checking anodes more frequently. Now that you have lost what I kept as a spare, consider buying a Max Prop. Best thing we ever invested in for our Beneteau 440
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 08:07   #66

I have a used 3-bladed prop off of my Moody 46 for sale. 30mm shaft size.
Please verify shaft size. email: Datoms1114@gmail.com
I would never buy a MaxProp unless I was racing. Too many moving parts that need regular maintenance.
captain_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 08:11   #67
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_dave View Post
I would never buy a MaxProp unless I was racing. Too many moving parts that need regular maintenance.
You clearly have never owned a Max Prop. They are well designed and built and require no more maintenance than regular cleaning (as does any prop) and lubrication every few years (typically when the boat is hauled for paint.)
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 08:40   #68

I've owned two MaxProps in my 20 years' sailing. Both failed. Both cost around $1500 to recondition. Case closed. If you like reliability, use only a fixed prop.
captain_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 08:51   #69
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_dave View Post
I've owned two MaxProps in my 20 years' sailing. Both failed.
I have installed and serviced many, many Max Props over the last two and half decades. I have never seen one "fail" except thru neglect and lack of maintenance. Maybe that was your problem.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 13:01   #70

Boat: Beneteau 473

I found another prop!!!!!

I looked all over the place and nothing with a 30mm shaft. I did call Beneteau. They were helpful with info, but did not know where I could find it. It took some looking, but Vetus (https://www.vetus.com/) was the only place I could find it. My local Marine store (Sigma Marine) here in Tarpon Springs is a dealer for them and I ordered it - $775. Everything is back ordered right now so it is a 2-3 delivery.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 14-09-2021, 15:53   #71
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
I found another prop!!!!!

I looked all over the place and nothing with a 30mm shaft. I did call Beneteau. They were helpful with info, but did not know where I could find it. It took some looking, but Vetus (https://www.vetus.com/) was the only place I could find it. My local Marine store (Sigma Marine) here in Tarpon Springs is a dealer for them and I ordered it - $775. Everything is back ordered right now so it is a 2-3 delivery.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Please check the taper fit between the new prop and your existing shaft.

The existing shaft is unlikely to match exactly to the new prop.

Not just push it one and see it doesn't wobble etc but actually check the mating surfaces are in full (or at least say 90%) contact. To does this, you need to use engineering blue (or similar) and AFAIK, it has to be done dry (i.e. not by a diver). Google or YouTube will show you how.

In the likely event of not having full contact, you should lap the prop / shaft interface until you full or very close to full contact. Again this is a straightforward easy DIY job.

The torque transfer between the prop and shaft is taken by the friction between the taper surfaces and not by the key. Reducing the area of the mating surfaces reduces the maximum torque which can be transferred.

The job of the key is to prevent the shaft from turning when tightening the nut.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost