Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2015, 20:01   #1

I own a Clipper Marine CM30 and need a motor

My boat is 26' LWL, has an 8' beam and it displaces 3200 lbs. I sail around Miami and the Florida Keys. I don't want to overpower my boat. I'm looking at a 6 hp Tohatsu Sailpro with a high thrust prop or a 9.8 hp Tohatsu. The motor will be mounted on a bracket on the transom. The weight is a concern to me and the 6 hp weighs 56 lbs and the 9.8 weighs 92 lbs. I need advice before I part with my cash.
Valhalla55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 15:16   #2

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Re: I own a Clipper Marine CM30 and need a motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla55 View Post
My boat is 26' LWL, has an 8' beam and it displaces 3200 lbs. I sail around Miami and the Florida Keys. I don't want to overpower my boat. I'm looking at a 6 hp Tohatsu Sailpro with a high thrust prop or a 9.8 hp Tohatsu. The motor will be mounted on a bracket on the transom. The weight is a concern to me and the 6 hp weighs 56 lbs and the 9.8 weighs 92 lbs. I need advice before I part with my cash.
I have (actually "had" since the head gasket just blew) a 60 lb Honda 5 HP on my 1200 lb West Wight Potter 19, without a problem. I've now purchased a 6 hp Tohatsu Sailpro with a 25 inch extra long shaft. It actually weight slightly less in weight.

The bigger problem I has with the 20 inch shaft was lifting the impeller out of the water when I had to go forward to pick up a mooring or anchor. The extra 5 inches will make a huge difference.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 16:34   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla55 View Post
You'll be happier with the lightest of the two. Our Folkboats are 1500 lbs heavier and 6hp is plenty. Your back will thank you each time you raise and lower your outboard or need to remove it for repair.
Old 18-09-2015, 17:56   #4

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
You'll be happier with the lightest of the two. Our Folkboats are 1500 lbs heavier and 6hp is plenty. Your back will thank you each time you raise and lower your outboard or need to remove it for repair.
98 is simply too heavy for me to carry and distance or even get off the mount without help. I figure the 6 hp will hardly be used, but when I need it I really need it. Its kind of like pulling my boat out of the water on a ramp. 80% of the time I don't need AWD, but 20% I can't get out of the water without it.

I need a motor for four times:

1. When I'm becalmed and need to get back

2. When I'm moving from one mooring to another or back to the trailer, and I'm pulling my 10 foot Walker bay dinghy.

3. When I'm running from a storm, and then I need all the speed I can get

4. When I'm sailing in a stiff wind, but the mooring is into the wind, and I really don't have time to fool around with tacking around and around trying to get the right position to get in.

The first works great with a little 3 hp engine. The second needs more than the little one to get there in a reasonable time, and the last two need the full 6 hp.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 20:39   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

6hp will propel a cm 30 just fine n dandy as they are most light boats. yes i even had one of those. not a boat for any kind of ocean work, however. be safe., go light weight with outboard for that boat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 10:14   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I'd be interested in hearing how your 6 hp moves your boat once you get it installed. We've moved our Folkboats around with Honda 2.3 on occasion and for our purposes was ok but that was not going into the wind on a blustery day. We did use a Johnson 3 and an old British Seagull from time to time and it powered the boats just fine. They are 4700 lbs.
Old 12-12-2015, 15:07   #7

I just bought a CM30 a month ago. It has a 9.9 hp 4 stroke on it . Have never had the boat in the water but it must be OK.
54hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, motor